Overshooting mash temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanok66

Reaction score
Hi so I am curious about mash enzymes and what overshooting the mash temp really does. My question is, say I overshoot a mash temp and end up at 170F, if I add cool water quickly do the enzymes that were denatured actually recover? Or am I relying on the ones that somehow escaped harm to finish out the mash?

The denatured ones are not going to recover but as long as you cool down quickly there should be enough left in the mash to get the job done.

The enzymes do not denature immediately. 170 is quite high, but you have some time. During that time alfa amylase will be going nuts.

For example beta amylase denatures around 150(can't remember the exact temp). This does not mean it is gone when you mash at 152. At 152 beta is very active and working. It will slowly denature over a period of time.

Check out the Home Brewing Wiki located in this forum.

Here's a link that might answer your question.

The Theory of Mashing - Home Brewing Wiki

As far as adding cooler water to bring your target mash temp back down. I have to do that sometimes and hadn't noticed any difference. I agree with the other posters that your target mash temp does need to be hit ASAP.

Latest posts

Back