Will a cider that starts out cloudy ever clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmpower

Reaction score
Juice is from safeway, but is fresh pressed 100 percent apple juice. Very cloudy, and even a little bit of sediment at the bottom. Just wondering

Juice is from safeway, but is fresh pressed 100 percent apple juice. Very cloudy, and even a little bit of sediment at the bottom. Just wondering

All ciders start out cloudy unless you use filter apple juice, but thats for little girls. Use pectic enzyme as Nick said. It will will likely not clear without it.

I actually don't really care if it clears as long as taste is not affected, I was just wondering if it was something I should be waiting for.

I actually don't really care if it clears as long as taste is not affected, I was just wondering if it was something I should be waiting for.

Generally speaking yes and no. Moving into secondary is to take the cider of the lees which does two things; 1. helps clear the cider and 2. prevents off flavors from the lees.

If the cider will clear that's generally when you want to bottle. There however is no reason to wait for it to clear. But you do want to wait for the lees to fall out of suspension. I suggests you let it sit at least 2 weeks in a secondary container after fermentation to allow the lees to fall out. It will taste better if you do and you will have limited bottle sediment.

Generally speaking yes and no. Moving into secondary is to take the cider of the lees which does two things; 1. helps clear the cider and 2. prevents off flavors from the lees.

If the cider will clear that's generally when you want to bottle. There however is no reason to wait for it to clear. But you do want to wait for the lees to fall out of suspension. I suggests you let it sit at least 2 weeks in a secondary container after fermentation to allow the lees to fall out. It will taste better if you do and you will have limited bottle sediment.

Yeah, I have three other non-apple batches in secondary right now. I plan on racking this to secondary with some cinnamon sticks :)

All ciders start out cloudy unless you use filter apple juice, but thats for little girls. it.

Have made about 100 gallons of cider. Both filtered and unfiltered.
I haven't noticed a difference in the final product what so ever.

Yea it clears. Unless you boil it for some reason.

Have made about 100 gallons of cider. Both filtered and unfiltered.
I haven't noticed a difference in the final product what so ever.

Yea it clears. Unless you boil it for some reason.

I press my own apples and I have a unfiltered juice batch sitting in my basement that's cloudy after 3 months. People also purposely make cloudy cider, I believe that's part of the idea of scrumpy. My point is that all ciders do not clear. Perhaps its because you only use juice that you have had the product clear. Also you didn't indicate if you used pectic enzyme or not. If you did of course it cleared. On that note, do you think they make pectic enzyme for no reason?

I used pectic enzyme for my batch and VERY cloudy when racked to secondary. When should I expect it to clear?

I have had ciders from filtered juice go from clear to cloudy and never clear again. Perhaps caused by spontaneous MLF. It seems to take something like SuperKleer to get them clear again.

Latest posts

Back