Help with yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefoot_trashko

Reaction score
I'm about to do a starter for my first AG batch. I've got some 400ml bottles of slurry in the fridge and about 2L of wort. I need some wort for my priming solution so I can't use it all for the starter.

Can I get some advice on the amounts of slurry & wort for the starter? And do I just boil the wort, cool it and add the slurry? (I've read Palmer on this but it's not super clear)

Also, how much wort should I use for my priming solution?

Thanks!

If the worts been boiled once already and cared for in a sanitary matter you shouldn't have to reboil but doing so for good measure wouldn't hurt either.

The gravity of the wort shouldn't be to high, i try to use nothing over 45 pts

Mrmalty.com has an excellent pitching calculator that will tell you how much slurry and wort to use based on your recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

If the worts been boiled once already and cared for in a sanitary matter you shouldn't have to reboil but doing so for good measure wouldn't hurt either.

The gravity of the wort shouldn't be to high, i try to use nothing over 45 pts

Mrmalty.com has an excellent pitching calculator that will tell you how much slurry and wort to use based on your recipe.

+1

You can also make a starter from DME/LME if you have some handy. It doesn't have to be wort from the beer you're making (but it's nice if it is). If it isn't, just decant most of the liquid off the top after you've cold crashed it and allowed the yeast to settle out. Aim for 1040 to 1045 if your slurry is fairly new and vital. Lastly, have you washed/rinsed the slurry to get dead yeast cells and trub/break out?

I'm in China and have no acces to DME/LME so I have to use wort. Also currently do not have a hydrometer. Yes, my slurry has been rinsed/washed. Looking to make a 5 gallon batch with about 10.75 lbs of Aussie pale malt and 1 lb of crystal malt. That's what we did for our first batch. It's been a lot of trial and error due to equipmnt accessibility and other factors. I'm just looking for a estimated amount of slurry and wort that will get me by. I want it to turn out as best as it can given the circumstances.

Latest posts

Back