Revisiting My Classics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to try the apple wheat in a few weeks.

Your thread was very interesting to read. I've saved a sixer from every batch, maybe after a few years of brewing I'll go back and do something similar.

Bumping this so I can read it all when I have more time. This is exactly what I started doing in December. I save one bottle from every brew. The plan is at one year from brew date to drink them.

Bumping this so I can read it all when I have more time. This is exactly what I started doing in December. I save one bottle from every brew. The plan is at one year from brew date to drink them.

Same here but I am going 1 year from the bottle date. I haven't hit 1 year on any of my beers since I started keeping track but I am looking forward to it and keeping it up!

I'll bump this thread 4 years later :ban:
What's the best way to store beer for years on end? I have read that the best way is to refrigerate, but I don't know where I'd store all those bottles (25-50) in the OP's example...

Cheers

Wow, it's already been four years? My first son was born the day after my last post on this, so I haven't brewed as much as I used to.

I also almost exclusively keg now, so I don't have a big stockpile of bottles anymore. I still have the last bottle of most of my first thirty or so batches. I've kept them packed in a cardboard box sitting on the floor in my office closet, along with a lot of other brewing supplies. It stays a steady 70ºF or so in there.

I have a beer fridge out in my garage, but that is dedicated to holding my two slim kegs now, so I couldn't keep these bottles refrigerated unless I had yet another fridge somewhere. Plus, at this point, I don't know that I'll be drinking them any time soon.

The longest I kept a bottled batch going was one of my early Belgians. I would pull out a bottle or two each year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. By the third and fourth years, it was awesome. But I just kept that batch in my closet as well. In fact, I pretty much always kept bottles in the closet until I was ready to drink them.

Wow, it's already been four years? My first son was born the day after my last post on this, so I haven't brewed as much as I used to.

I also almost exclusively keg now, so I don't have a big stockpile of bottles anymore. I still have the last bottle of most of my first thirty or so batches. I've kept them packed in a cardboard box sitting on the floor in my office closet, along with a lot of other brewing supplies. It stays a steady 70ºF or so in there.

I have a beer fridge out in my garage, but that is dedicated to holding my two slim kegs now, so I couldn't keep these bottles refrigerated unless I had yet another fridge somewhere. Plus, at this point, I don't know that I'll be drinking them any time soon.

The longest I kept a bottled batch going was one of my early Belgians. I would pull out a bottle or two each year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. By the third and fourth years, it was awesome. But I just kept that batch in my closet as well. In fact, I pretty much always kept bottles in the closet until I was ready to drink them.

Glad I bumped the thread! It got you back posting again :)
So you've just kept them in a closet all this time. That's sound way more doable than trying to find room for a 6 pack of all my brews in a fridge! I'll start doing this right away...your thread inspired me to let some stuff age!

:mug:

Yeah, one thing I really keep meaning to do is brew another Belgian ale, put it in bottles, and forget about it for a while. Those definitely age the best.

Yeah, one thing I really keep meaning to do is brew another Belgian ale, put it in bottles, and forget about it for a while. Those definitely age the best.

If you want to send me a recipe for that Belgian Ale that ages so well, I'll brew her for my next AG batch!
Just send me a PM.

Major thread resurrection here!

I still have a single remaining bottle of most of the ones I reviewed for this post, as well as a couple others. Basically a full case of 24 bottles, one from each batch. These beers are now anywhere from 15-17 years old, and I'm kinda curious to finally finish them off, but I'm wondering if they're still safe to drink. Has anyone ever had a beer that old? And even outside that, I'm guessing the vast majority, if not all, of these will be pretty bad at this point. So it's debatable whether it's even worth it to open them as opposed to saving them for the memories. I made labels for all the bottles back then, so they look nice. Of course, I could still save the empty bottles afterward. Looking for opinions on all this stuff.

Latest posts

Back