Basement too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I know it's not time to panic yet because the batch has only been in the primary for about 18 hours but my temp is 68 and the yeast I used (white labs WLP001) calls for 70-75 degree fermetation temps. I moved the carboy to the main floor by my kegerator to see if I can bring up the temp from the warm air coming off the condensing unit, any other tips, I don't have a brew belt yet, looks like I'll need one!

I know it's not time to panic yet because the batch has only been in the primary for about 18 hours but my temp is 68 and the yeast I used (white labs WLP001) calls for 70-75 degree fermetation temps. I moved the carboy to the main floor by my kegerator to see if I can bring up the temp from the warm air coming off the condensing unit, any other tips, I don't have a brew belt yet, looks like I'll need one!

No!!!!! Don't raise the temperature!!

From White Labs website:
WLP001 California Ale Yeast
This yeast is famous for its clean flavors, balance and ability to be used in almost any style ale. It accentuates the hop flavors and is extremely versatile.
Attenuation: 73-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F
Alcohol Tolerance: High

Keep in mind that your basement is AIR temperature. You want the fermentation temperature to be the important temperature. During fermentation, the temperature inside the fermenter can be up to 10 degrees higher than ambient air temperature.

I like to ferment WLP 001 at even lower than suggested temperatures- I usually ferment it at 62-64 degrees for a nice neutral taste. At above 72, you'll have quite a bit of fruitiness (esters).

forgot to specify the 68 temp I was referring to is the reading on the strip thermometer on the side of the carboy if that makes any difference.

It does make a difference, but I would just let it alone. It will warm up as the fermentation phase starts.

I would even argue that IF it was too cold (a problem I wish I had in my warm apartment) that fluctuating the temperatures would be even more detrimental than fermenting too cold. That being said, 68F is not too cold.

I just got done with a batch using wlp001 at 62F with no problems. It's a basement and the temp is consistent all year and no fluctuations between day/night. Yesterday it hit 67 outside and my basement was 62 still. I don't have the exact numbers on when specific yeast strains will go to sleep, but 62 isn't the bottom.
I always make a starter!

I just posted to a 2 year old thread?

Back