Really Low AA - What's the effect on flavor/aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm brewing a tripel on Monday and using Styrian hops at around 15 mins for some flavor and around a 7-8 IBU contribution. However, the hops I got ended up being a miniscule 1.8%AA... I could substitute or I could put more hops in to make up the bitterness (although we're talking over 3 oz instead of the 1oz - 1.25oz I originally expected).

So the question is... do I substitute in (I have some old but well-stored EKG that I could use) or do I go big on the addition? If I go with the latter, what effect on flavor and aroma am I going to see - anything?

Thanks for any advice,
Mark

AA% has no real effect on flavor and aroma. If you need to boost the overall IBU # I'd suggest adding a little more to your bittering addition. This will have less impact on the beer's flavor than loading up on the late addition.

So, the AA doesn't effect the flavor (besides bitterness) but there's tons of essential oils in hops and by adding 4x the amount you are going to get more hop flavor. I would use some clean to bitter (warrior/magnum) to hit your desired IBU and then add the amount of flavor/aroma hops prescribed by your recipe

The low AA hops can still produce the low IBUs you're looking for just put them in longer than 15 min. Check beersmith or another app to see how much IBUs you can get on a 60min addition. If you're recipe is calling for hop flavor you can go with 60 for IBUS and 10 or 5 min additions for flavor and aroma.

The styrian were a late-ish addition and I wasn't really aiming for significant IBUs but was concerned that if the AA was that low, would the other qualities of the hops be similarly reduced... Went with the single ounce addition and we will see how things pan out.

Back