Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having to miss out on the Flag show. Me and the mrs split and it's caused all kinds of problems. Pretty pissed about it.

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/marc...r-resembling-neo-nazi-band-art-195750323.html

1aef9f1f-e2b0-4707-a0d4-2f3b66367c9f_630_jacobs_tshirt.jpg

A $68 Marc by Marc Jacobs T-shirt has gotten the boot by its designer after a blog pointed out its eerie resemblance to a neo-Nazi band’s album art.

More on Yahoo: Sexist Back-to-School Shirt Pulled From Shelves (and the Biggest T-Shirt Scandals of 2013)

“Boots & Braces,” the 1987 12-inch from Skrewdriver, one of the first white-power rock groups, featured an illustration of combat boots—soles up—on its cover. At least one other group, the hardcore-punk (but not neo-Nazi) Agnostic Front, has also used a similar image.

But according to Marc by Marc Jacobs, the T-shirt’s design was just an unfortunate coincidence.

“It has been brought to our attention that the imagery on a T-shirt of ours is similar to that used by a band,” a spokesperson told New York Magazine's The Cut. “We were not trying to make a connection to that band or make a statement of any kind. We have removed the stock of the shirt from our own stores and offer our retail partners the same opportunity.”

The shirt is still available on the Saks Fifth Avenue website, but no longer on Nordstrom's. Neither retailer responded to Yahoo Shine’s requests for comment.

“I think people who pay 70 bucks for a T-shirt aren't hanging out at grimy punk…hangouts, nor should they be responsible for not knowing the fact that their new shirt is a ripoff of a Skrewdriver shirt,” noted one commenter on Gawker, which was the first site to point out the design similarities.

That comment prompted this reader response: “I feel like people buying $70 T-shirts are clueless about a lot of things.”

Haha, I love the quotes at the end.

Qhrumphf said:
Yep. And if I understand correctly even the term "bovver boot" is stylish again.

But just about every street punk, oi, or skinhead hardcore group from WP to antifa has used a similar image at some point.

Or have it tattooed.

image-3715796889.jpg

Even gets its use in reggae. I mean, yeah, that particular image is pretty close to the Skrewdriver one (edit - the one in the article, not the tat), but it's a pretty generic image.

symarip-skinhead-moonstomp-trojan.jpg

Really? Personal preferences aside, it's AF and the Cro-Mags. I was excited to hear about that show.

I've actually never seen Cro-Mags, but I've seen AF more times than I can count. Plus the other acts I'm not wild about. Although it would be funny seeing the Eyehategod crowd mixing with the Coke Bust crowd.

However.....

I just checked, and turns out the show was postponed (hadn't checked since I decided I wasn't going). So I may be able to go after all.

Gainseville's finest:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l-pF9K_olmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Indy beat me to it - I'm really excited to be opening for the Tossers. Gonna be a whiskey filled night.

I'm sure Tony will be performing as pissed as he was the times I've seen em. We're talking Shane MacGowan levels (although with more teeth).

Also The Selecter came through town about two weeks ago. I didn't know until the day after. I was pissed.

The show with the Tossers was awesome - and yes, Tony was pissed. The whole band was great - really nice to us all night, signed a record for me, hung out for a while after their set. Twas a good night...

OK, we can debate my use of facebook (as being punk or not) if you wish, but I just had a moment. I posted this on facebook and I'm sure most of you would agree with me. With that being typed if you wish to add me just let me know, I'll pm you my profile link.

After 5 years of not regularly being in a band the urge is hitting me hard again. I can't do anything at the moment do to craziness with work, but I seriously just found myself browsing craigslist for musicians who wish to play punk music and I found a few I'd love to contact.

I also remember several times when people would ask me when I'm going to grow out of this "punk rock phase". To all who questioned me, do you think 20 years is a phase? I'm 34 years old and still have the desire to play punk rock. I still get pissed off by abuse of authority, I still write angry aggressive music and I still love listening to it.

Maybe it's because you have to have had a hard life to understand punk rock and most people have not dealt with that, maybe it was because for some people it's a way of rebelling or maybe you just wanted to dress colorfully for a short period of time. However, if you truly are punk rock it's not a phase.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of punks are idiots, hands down. A lot of them just want to party and break **** and that's not what I'm talking about. Hell, I call those fools out when they're acting like idiots. Damnit, I just need some free time so I can start playing music again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2stm9nySfk

1...2...3...Go!
Well all my life this music saved me
I can't afford no therapy
My Frustration it needs release, so cut me open and hear me bleed
Playing Punk It Keeps Me Sane
Don't need drugs to numb the pain
It keeps me alive, I hope it helps you
I won't let your worthless America Ruin Me

NO WAY!
I'm screaming out, somebody listen,
It feels so good
This Therapy
I'm screaming out, somebody listen,
It feels so good
This Therapy

I lost control and hurt myself
I knew deep down that I needed some help
That self-abuse it would not stop,
No matter how hard I tried
So I Lied And I tried to pull my life together
Am I Going Insane?
Think Again
I just Got So Fed Up With Being Unstable

NO MORE
I'm screaming out,
Somebody Listen,
It Feels So Good,
This Therapy! [x8]

I'm screaming out!
I'm screaming out!
I'm screaming out!
I'm screaming out!
I'm screaming out!
I'm screaming out!
I'm screaming out!
Get Me Some Help!

1...2...3...Go!

Start the next song with "1..2..Fu*k you!" Ahh, classic

Seriously though, I hear you. Being an adult makes it a little tougher to maintain a punk band, for me at least. I'm lucky to have some buddies who are like myself. We aren't as interested in touring, gigging, and drinking as just getting together now and then to kick out the jams. I think it's because we all have careers and all that other sh*t that gets in the way of being punk :mug:

Just made a playlist for my brewday this Sunday, broke out some of my old punk stuff that I havent listened to in a while. Making my Zombie Dust Clone...figured Id have a punk rock, halloween, brew day extravaganza.

"I'm 34 years old and still have the desire to play punk rock." Hey dfc! Too bad I dont live in AZ anymore, I just turned 35 yesterday and would love to get together with someone my age to play some good ol fashioned gritty punk rock. Hey it says you are an Audio Engineer/Instructor, do you work at the Conservatory? Thats what I was living in Arizona for.

Brewday Playlist:
Sorrow-Bad Religion
Time for Livin'-Beastie Boys
Nervous Breakdown-Black Flag
Lamar Vannoy-Bouncing Souls
Signs of the Times-Cro-Mags
Jet Boy Jet Girl-Crocodiles
Love Song-The Damned
If You Love Someone Set Them On Fire-The Dead Milkmen
Horror Business-Deadguy Violent World: A Tribute to the Misfits
Nights In White Satin-The Dickies
I Feel Like a Fat Frustrated ****-The Evaporators
Don't Turn Away-Face to Face
Disconnected-Face to Face
Velocity-Face to Face
Jung And Crazee-The Fags(Eugene from Gogol Bordelo-early band when he lived in Burlington, VT.)

I Don't Care About You-Fear
It's A Wonderful Life (Gonna Have A Good Time) -Fishbone
Lexicon Devil-The Germs
Jack the World-GWAR
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now-H2O (A Tribute to the Smiths)
Swallow-Hammerhead
Earth (I Won't Miss)-Hammerhead
Bunnies-HORSE the band
Embrace-Ignite
To Be Free-Into Another
Kali-Fornia Über Alles 21st Century (Live)-Jello Biafra(with The Melvins)
Brown Eyed Girl-Lagwagon
War Pimp Renaissance-Lard
Sugar in Your Gas Tank-Less Than Jake
Jen Doesn't Like Me Anymore-Less Than Jake
Johnny Quest (Thinks We're Sellouts)-Less Than Jake
Poseur Punker-The Low Budgets (Joe Jack from Dead Milkmen-sideproject)
Favorite Things-Me First and The Gimme Gimmes
San Francisco-Me First and The Gimme Gimmes
Fire and Rain-Me First and The Gimme Gimmes
Crazy-Me First and The Gimme Gimmes
Youth of America (Wipers Cover)-Melvins
We Should Talk-The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Seeing Red-Minor Threat
Have You Ever Seen the Rain?-Minutemen
I Got a Right-The Misfits(The Iggy Pop Tribute: We Will Fall)
Beer Bath-Murphy's Law
Beer-Murphy's Law
Crucial Bar-B-Que -Murphy's Law
Attack Of The Killer Beers(Bong!)-Murphy's Law
Raze the Stray-Neurosis
You're Wrong-NOFX
Happy Guy-NOFX
Two Lips, Two Lungs and One Tongue-NoMeansNo
Rags and Bones-NoMeansNo
Astro Zombies-Pennywise (Violent World: A Tribute to the Misfits)
Monsters-Pink Lincolns
I Spent the Rent-The Queers
Tulu Is a Wimp-The Queers
Half ****faced-The Queers
Monster Zero-The Queers
I Believe In Miracles(Live)-Ramones
Time Bomb-Rancid
Ruby Soho-Rancid
Baby I'm Drunk-The Reverend Horton Heat
(Remastered) Rock
Kill Yr Idols-Sonic Youth
Your Uniform-Stockholm Monsters
I Wanna Be Your Dog-The Stooges
Islands-Suicide Machines
Break The Glass-Suicide Machines
Code Blue-T.S.O.L.
Bomb. Repeat. Bomb.-Ted Leo & The Pharmacists
Everything Gets Interrupted-Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
A More Perfect Union-Titus Andronicus
Say It (To My Face)-Underdog
What She Said-Youth Brigade (The World Still Won't Listen-A Tribute to the Smiths)
Sweet And Tender Hooligan-59 Times The Pain (The World Still Won't Listen-A Tribute to the Smiths)
Atlantic Thrills Acid Rain at the Wooly Fair 2011
Hallowed Be Thy Name by Indecision (Unorthodox - Track 13)
In your hands-Never Only Once (Old HC band from Burlington, VT)
BAGBOY-Pixies
Degenerated-Puzzlehead
I wanna conquer the world-Bad Religion
back one out-Lagwagon
highway kings-Bouncing Souls
Who Killed Marilyn-Misfits
I Wipe My Ass With The World-Lowbudgets
Beef Balogna-FEAR
Where Eagles Dare Date Unknown Box Set-Misfits
More Beer!-FEAR
We're only gonna die... -Bad Religion
Return of the Fly-Misfits
Surfing Cow -Dead Milkmen
Hybrid Moments-Misfits
Alec Eifle (Pixies Cover)-Get Up Kidz
Stupid Maryanne-Dead Milkmen
Generator-Bad Religion
Violent World Songshop-Misfits
Atomic Garden-Bad Religion
Skulls Master Sound Productions-Misfits
I turned Into a Martian-Misfits
Cold Feelings-Social D
Let the good times roll-Vandals
Takin' Retards To The Zoo-Dead Milkmen
Dean's Dream-Dead Milkmen

Skulls-Misfits
I turned Into a Martian-Misfits

This reminds me.. I saw Danzig with Doyle as a guest guitarist 2 weekends ago in Charlotte NC. They played these songs along with London Dungeon, Astro-zombies, Last caress... Needles to say, I blew my load.

Yeah Ive seen some you tube videos of them playing together recently. I wish I could see it. Lol Danzig looked pretty out of breath and worn out at the end of them, not like when he was a little scrwny kid popping around on stage. Lol that reminds me...check this out. I guess Danzig refused to come out and play a set at this festival and Ted Leo decided to come out and do a misfits tribute dressed as a young Glen Danzig.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always liked this band...then saw them live at TKO Record's 10th anniversary show back in 2007 and loved them. Poison Idea ****ed **** up at that show, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just made a playlist for my brewday this Sunday, broke out some of my old punk stuff that I havent listened to in a while. Making my Zombie Dust Clone...figured Id have a punk rock, halloween, brew day extravaganza.

"I'm 34 years old and still have the desire to play punk rock." Hey dfc! Too bad I dont live in AZ anymore, I just turned 35 yesterday and would love to get together with someone my age to play some good ol fashioned gritty punk rock. Hey it says you are an Audio Engineer/Instructor, do you work at the Conservatory? Thats what I was living in Arizona for.

I totally work at the Conservatory. When did you come through? What was your start date?

Just picked up the Beat Farmers' Tales from the New West on vinyl. Any old timer from the LA area should appreciate that one.

Back