Lager Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a Lager that started out at 1.066 that has been in the Primary now for 2 weeks. It has been at 50-54 degrees for that duration of time. The Yeast I used was WLP 800. Two 5 Liter Starters were made, one for each Carboy of 5.50 Gallons of Wort. I took a hydrometer reading last night and I am currently at 1.035. I will be taking another Hydrometer reading tomorrow night in hopes that I can put these carboys into their Diacetyl rest. Here are my questions. How many points can I look forward to dropping during the diacetyl rest? I was really hoping for 1.015-1.010 for this American Pilsner. Once the Diacetyl rest is done and I rack into secondary for lagering, is 40 degrees a good temp to lager at? I plan on lagering for 4 weeks prior to kegging.

Here's my lagering technique, not saying it is right or wrong, just what has worked for me for the past 10 years.

Ferment in primary for about 2 weeks (for an average strength lager) at about 45 or so. Remove from that temp and warm to about 65 for around 4-5 days for a diacetyl rest. Rack. Cool down to about 28-30 over 5-6 days. Keep at this temp as long as you can (the longer the better).

Let it stay in the primary a bit longer: your measured gravity is a bit high.

It won't hurt to increase your temps a bit, maybe even bring it in for a D-rest for 3 days @ mid 60's. Then return to cooler temps.

Lager for as long as you can take it. I usually make it 6-8 weeks.

I just did my first lager. The hydro test after 13 Days was 1.028. After letting it sit at 62-64 for Two days it was down to 1.010.

I would just leave it in the primary and wait longer. After 2 weeks my pilsner was only at 1.024 from 1.052. Gave it another week, including 24 hr diacetyl rest, got it down to 1.011, and it still had krausen and maybe could have gone longer. Once you hit your desired gravity and after the d-rest I'd rack to secondary (or keg) and lager.

anyway, it seems that patience is key with lagers, though I would hope that with 5 liters of starter it would go a bit faster. How can commercial brewers stand to have a lager fermenting for up to a month and then another month or two for lagering? They must seriously pitch a crapload of yeast.

Back