Starter Predicament

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelale

Reaction score
I want to make a starter for 5 Gals. of OG 1.068. It's a Leffe Clone with Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II. I only have 1 stir plate and 2 1L Flasks. Mr. Malty calls for 1.2 Liters of starter. Should I go with just a 1L starter, or use a larger container. Or is there a way to "split" the starter batch. I really want to use my flask(s) to boil, chill, start! Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I've ever tried a starter.

I wouldn't try boiling a 1L starter in anything smaller than a 2L flask (unless you use Fermcap-s (or similar).
I don't think that MrMalty's calculator takes the effect of a stir plate into account. (You can get a very much higher concentration of yeast cells with a stir plate than without.
I'd go with a 500 - 750ML starter, or push it up to say 900 if you have the Fermcap-s

-a.

I was able to boil 1L with the help of Fermcap. It's cooling right now. No boil overs, but real close! I guess I'll have to spring for a 2L flask, but it seems that for .2 liters.....I don't know. I don't think that I am "grossly" underpitching with what I have. And who knows, I may be brewing 10 gallons or more in the future.

that you could only expect a certain level of cell count with a given amount of wort.

"The minimum starter size for significant yeast growth from a vial or pack of yeast is 1 liter. One vial or pack into 1 liter results in approximately a 50% increase in cell mass." from MrMalty.

I don't think that MrMalty's calculator takes the effect of a stir plate into account. (You can get a very much higher concentration of yeast cells with a stir plate than without.

Mr. Malty's calculator lets you select the stir method (simple, shaken, aerated, stirplate, etc.) and adjusts accordingly. It's in a pull down menu in the calculator. The OP's numbers look about right for the stirplate option.

(FWIW, I used the calculator for several months before I realized that this option existed. Found it by accident one day, even though it's right in the center of the calculator in plain sight.)

that you could only expect a certain level of cell count with a given amount of wort.
Not quite true. Try the wyeast calculator, which (I've been told) was also created by Mr Malty Jamil, and split a 2 L starter into 2 1L steps. You'll see it is about 50% more effective than throwing the entire 2L in with the yeast. Great info here on this subject.

"The minimum starter size for significant yeast growth from a vial or pack of yeast is 1 liter. One vial or pack into 1 liter results in approximately a 50% increase in cell mass." from MrMalty.

In this case (1L starter) you are correct and I was wrong: stepping up won't help with your smaller starter. I'm not sure why, but I have to do the math myself someday to figure it out.

Thanks. Yeah, I did see the info on the step-up procedures, but no need to step up with my equipment limitations.

Latest posts

Back