Compression Bulkhead Parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brans041

Reaction score
I am trying to come up with a Compression Bulkhead for my HERMS coil, but am stuck on what size washers I need. To install I would like to do the following:

Compression Fitting
Washer
Silicone Sealing Washer
Kettle Wall
Silicone Sealing Washer
Washer
3 Piece Stainless Ball Valve

I need some help on the ID of the washers, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

It's going to depend entirely on what size compression fittings you used. Your link doesn't give a size, but once you know your thread size, then you know what size washer you need. I don't understand your question....

Or check out one of the many vendors on here (stainlessbrewing, brewhardware, bargainfittings, etc) and buy a kit - probably save money in the long run.

Sorry, the Compression fitting is 1/2" OD Tubing to 1/2" NPT, and the Ball Valve is 1/2" NPT. I am looking to ID for the washers...

Thanks again!

Take it for what it's worth, but I don't like that particular series of parts for a bulkhead. There's nothing to stop liquid from going between the compression fitting and metal washer and once it gets there, it spirals around the threads right past the sealing washer. The best way to do this is to silver solder the washer directly to the fitting and then the silicone washer. No need for silicone on the outside. The SS washer size should be 20mm.

You're not actually thinking about piecing it together from Mcmaster are you?

Okay, that's what I did, but I got different answers. If I use .84 the closest I can get is 0.93, which appears it will slip over the 3/4 bolt. Which has a corner to corner diameter of 0.866". I guess I will have to figure something else out.

You're not actually thinking about piecing it together from Mcmaster are you?

I cant find anyone that can make this minimized. All I want is the compression fitting through to the ball valve. I don't have a need for another coupling, or other piece of hardware, and I don't want to weld or solder.

Doesn't look promising at this point I guess.

That's what the email link on my website is for ;-). We do custom work all the time. Let me ask you this.. are you looking for a compression elbow or straight? If you use the elbow, you don't need to put the extra bends in your coil.

Check out the sites I gave you earlier. Bobby sells good stuff, StainlessBrewing sells exactly what you're looking for, too. Pretty sure you can find exactly what you want for way less money and stress.

Check out the sites I gave you earlier. Bobby sells good stuff, StainlessBrewing sells exactly what you're looking for, too. Pretty sure you can find exactly what you want for way less money and stress.

Actually, stainless brewing does not sell what I am looking for, they have a 3/8 NPT compression, not 1/2", and that goes to a 1/2" to 3/8" Bushing.

Do you think I would be asking the question if I could find exactly what I was looking for on a website already?

That's what the email link on my website is for ;-). We do custom work all the time. Let me ask you this.. are you looking for a compression elbow or straight? If you use the elbow, you don't need to put the extra bends in your coil.

Just straight, I was ordering for the Herms coil as well as pickup tubes and whirlpool tube. Do you have something in mind that would work?

For the diptube, I have this full kit right here: http://brewhardware.com/valves/146-wldip58

WLdip58.png

For the coil, I have two of the elbow compressions made up already as shown here on the bottom. For the whirlpool port, the easy and cheap way is to use my weldless bulkhead with high flow elbow barb as shown on the top of the pic.

elbowbulkheads.jpg

Can you explain in more depth what you pickup tube consists of? It looks like there is a compression that goes into a bushing, which is what I see on the other sites, but that is not what I really want.

Okay, so at least I am getting info that I want. Do either of you have CAD of your design? As the pics on both of your websites are not very specific, and that is what I am trying to do.

Can you explain in more depth what you pickup tube consists of? It looks like there is a compression that goes into a bushing, which is what I see on the other sites, but that is not what I really want.

My diptube uses a custom manufactured one-piece compression fitting with a mix of NPS and NPT thread. If you can figure out a better design for a bulkhead and compression fitting in one, you should make them a sell them. What exactly are you looking for?

No, you can't have a CAD of this fitting but I promise that it's really really cool ;-) Here's a video showing more... skip ahead to the 14m 30s mark.

[ame]http://youtu.be/zHAS7iwWLmQ?t=14m30s[/ame]

Back