I got a bike today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It has been 20 years since I've ridden (I was 12 and it was a dirt bike) so I need to re-learn how to ride. However I got a bobber today. Here she is.

Bike2.jpg

Bike1.jpg

Bike.jpg

I am drooling over here.

I was going to brag about the 21 speed mountain bikes we got for christmas but I can see I'm outmatched.

It is beautiful! Are you planning to take the MSF course? I highly recommend it...great info. Ive ridden my whole life and still learned a lot.

Enjoy it and remember to keep the shiny side up!

Most states also give you your motorcycle liscense when you present the certificate for the MSF at the DMV. It's way easier than taking the riding test at the DMV itself.

MSF Motorcycle Safety Foundation. In some sates mandatory to get your license. My state CA it is. I rode for many years in the Midwest on dirt bikes and knew how to ride pretty well. Had to take the MSF course in CA to get a license here. I learned a few things, definitively worth the money.

Tricky test:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ahg6qcgoay4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^^ Excellent. Cagers don't get it though. I always figure nobody sees me when I ride so I am a very defensive rider.

"Where's the back seat?" A question answered primary with "what are those for?" It looks like a lot of fun, I kind of miss my gixxer from time to time. To be honest, some of the wisest forms of defensive driving is having a loud exhaust. If they can't see you, they have a chance of hearing you, plus it scares away deer.

I miss my 750 Shadow dearly but it's replacement is better so I can't complain too much.

Finally got my dream car (well sorta). Last year I picked up a Factory Five Roadster.

It has been 20 years since I've ridden (I was 12 and it was a dirt bike) so I need to re-learn how to ride. However I got a bobber today. Here she is.

Definitely try to forget everything you remember about riding the dirt bike. Not much translates into riding a street bike. There is no putting your foot down to turn a tight corner, and you push the bars in the opposite direction that you want the bike to lean and turn.

I almost found that out the hard way the first time I tried to ride a street bike after growing up riding dirt bikes. Was test riding a GPZ750 that I was interested in buying while serving in the USAF. The guy selling asked if I knew how to ride. I told him I could and we went for a ride. The first big turn and I'm trying to turn it like I was on a dirt track and started to go the opposite direction into the guard rail! In an instant I figured it out and leaned back onto the roadway. My underpants were no longer white!!!

Definitely get some formal training, especially if there's someone at home who loves you! And remember, you can do EVERYTHING right on a bike and some dillweed can still take you out! There are no fender benders on a bike!

Nice bob! I have an 84 Shadow in the garage in several pieces. I went to Yellowstone on her in '06 and took her to Pigeon Forge, Tn, two years ago. She has since been retired and is going to rebuilt as a bobber, hopefully in the next couple of years. Great bike, been in the family since '94.

I took this pic just before the 'tail of the dragon' a couple of years ago...

5106-dsc00835.jpg

"Where's the back seat?" A question answered primary with "what are those for?" It looks like a lot of fun, I kind of miss my gixxer from time to time. To be honest, some of the wisest forms of defensive driving is having a loud exhaust. If they can't see you, they have a chance of hearing you, plus it scares away deer.

Please explain how the noise preceeds you by much if any? Most of the sound is behind you and to the side. All that loud pipes do is irritate the none biking public as well as most of us who ride with respect for others. It is nothing more than noise pollution. Nothing at all. Any loud pipes are illegal in all states as far as I know. Please do the responsible riders a favor and ride a bike with respectful sound levels. Before you jump in my s**t please know I have been riding since 1966. I have also been a head mechanic for a Honda Suzuki dealer.:(

Bike2.jpg

Bike1.jpg

Bike.jpg

Congratulations. May you enjoy this sport as much as the rest of us who ride.
As the saying asks - have you ever seen a a motorcycle in front of a psychiatist office?

Back