My Pump in a Toolbox build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great. And who is the awesome color commentator?

I'm curious as to how hot is going to get inside the box.

Jeffmeh: I have my 809 in the same toolbox. The toolbox stays pretty cool despite the fact that I was dumb enough to put a plate chiller in there as well.

thesanch: You box looks real nice and professionally done. I really like those faceplates on there.

My son is the commentator. It seems like he has something to say about everything, but I can only understand less than half of it.

After a wet run with it, I didn't notice any heat issues. However, I was outside in the 100+ degree weather.

I am thinking about doing this. Has anyone else done this?
The screws on the pump head don't look long enough to go through the plastic and into the motor. Do I need to get longer screws?

I went to Ace and bought some longer SS screws. I can't remember the size. Sorry.

I've done this and the portability and small foot print is great, as I don't have a dedicated brew area. I guess the plastic on the box I have is extremely thin. I used the same screws that came with the pump.

I did have problems with heat that were mitigated by propping open the lid with a short piece of CPVC scrap I had. I initially ran my pump for the entire mash recircing. Now I only run it when applying heat to the kettle.

I brew in a single vessel and no sparge. Now I only run it while applying heat and then for 10 minutes during mash out. I really haven't had problems, but I keep the lid propped open regardless. So maybe a total of 20 minutes for the mash and maybe 30 min while whirl pooling.

I mounted my pump on the back side of the tool box, so the lid also works as a guard against splashing even when propped open.

The box I got has a tray in the top which I keep my brewing salts and minerals and a few tools I often need.

Back