Would one of these work? (Turkey Fryer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, 28 quarts is rather small for all grain. I have a 30 quart turkey fryer pot and I find it to be just a little too small. However, 1650 watts should be plenty to get a good boil going rather fast. Also it's nice that there is a a built in valve for draining the wort.

In summary, seems like it would be a good for doing 4.5 gallon batches.

I can't tell if the electric heating element is seperate from the turkey fryer pot. If it is you could always use it with a larger pot if you decide one day that the pot is too small.

If it is indeed seperate than I would say this is a rather good deal, if not than it's an ok deal.

Well actually as of now I'm doing partial mash, and doing any AG batches seems kinda far away as of now...I'm just wondering about the electric part-how well the electric fryers work for everyone. I found a long thread on this fryer a while ago, and I'm wondering how the electric fryers have treated everyone else...I mean 50$ for a ~130$ fryer, offer is almost too good to pass up.

something to consider: at 1650W, it's going to take you 93 minutes to heat 7 gallons of water from 70 to boil. 47 minutes from 140F. Either way, that's a long time. A 25-50 dollar 55k btu propane burner will do it much quicker.

I haven't tried one myself but I've only heard disapointing things about the electric turkey fryers. Oil is easier to heat and you don't lose as much energy to evaporation like with water (or wort). If you really want to go this route think about insulating the exterior to aid heat retention.

Edit: oh, and consider foam control drops to help with boil overs. As was mentioned 28qt is pretty small.

I picked one up off of CL for $50 and it's been working great as a HLT.

Been looking for another one and maybe just moving to 4 - 4.5 gallon batches with foam control.

Back