great yeast article - READ IT unless you like crappy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one that thinks this is a huge amount of yeast to grow? He is talking about a 2.5 gallon starter for a 5 gallon wort.

I think I'll have to start saving all my yeast from the primary from now on.

Todd said:
Am I the only one that thinks this is a huge amount of yeast to grow? He is talking about a 2.5 gallon starter for a 5 gallon wort.

I think I'll have to start saving all my yeast from the primary from now on.

Yeah--realistically, almost all homebrewers underpitch according to this standard, IMHO.

Well, he's talking about a 2.5gal starter based upon the actual amount of viable yeast from homebrewers traditional single-step method of using an airlock on a starter. Now, I assume that he assumes we won't pitch 2.5gallons...just the yeasties that are on the bottom.

He also makes reference to Wyeast packs having only 25% of the yeast cells viable....yikes. I don't know if this is a reference to the old Wyeast packs or the new "100billion" packs.

Exo said:
Well, he's talking about a 2.5gal starter based upon the actual amount of viable yeast from homebrewers traditional single-step method of using an airlock on a starter. Now, I assume that he assumes we won't pitch 2.5gallons...just the yeasties that are on the bottom.

He also makes reference to Wyeast packs having only 25% of the yeast cells viable....yikes. I don't know if this is a reference to the old Wyeast packs or the new "100billion" packs.

I'm curious how much actual yeast volume he gets from the big starters. For example I had pretty much 8 cups of yeast of my last primary. Should I have pitched the entire thing?

also wondering how much of a difference it will make, heck I know people who pitch 1 pack of dry yeast, dry, and the beer turned out good.

Brewpastor beat me to it. MB is a woman, I have gotton some great strains of yeast from her. I brewed a Mild that I got first place with and now I can't duplicate it because I no longer have that yeast.

That was a really good read, some nice recipe's on the site too!

Exo said:

I think its to the old ones because the volume of the packs he talks about is only 50ml... instead of the 125ml XL smack packs that I've seen.

Yup, I just made a Wyeast 1007 (German Ale) starter in prep for brewing Cheesefood's Caramel Cream on Monday. Package is 125ml / 4.25 fl. oz.

Now I'm waiting on starter lag-time...sigh.

ok, here's a newbie question. Do you have to use malt in a starter, or would Dextrose and honey work? As long as there are yeast nutrients(I assume you get them in tablet form at your LHBS) and a slightly higher ph it should be fine, right? Would it work as good to use 1/2 honey (to up the ph a bit so bacteria dosn't grow) and 1/2 corn sugar, or is malt really the only thing that will work?I know DME is the best choice, but if I don't want to afford DME for the starter would a starter composed of honey and corn sugar work better than just dumping a smack pack into the wort? Just corn sugar? Just honey? :confused:

oh yeah, and when pitching the yeast from the starter do you wash it or pitch it all in(bumping the abv slightly :D )?

Very, very interesting that science stuff. I'm really blown away by the amount of yeast cells produced by constant stirring over just letting the starter sit. I think maybe that I should have kept my most recent starter stirring for longer than I did armed with this info. Also interesting is the claim that aerating with a 2 micron aeration stone into 5 gallons for a minute or two will supersaturate with oxygen if you're using pure O2 as your aerating gas. This I'd love to test... I need to talk a colleague into letting me use the portable O2 sensor he uses for his research to do this test.

That would be a cool test! Boil some batches up with higher and higher gravities and see how the oxygen saturation differs with respect to the time aerating!

Back