Two recipes! check em out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
I'm not too experienced with mead, i make more beer than miller, but wanted to go back and try out my hand at blending bee goo.

here are the two recipes, tell me what you think!

This one is going to be sparkling, like a champagne, and im THINKING of steeping some bries carapill into it to get some head retention! haha. that, and maybe some honey malt.....THINKING about it....thats why i need you people!
for 5 gallons:
Basswood Honey 3#
Clover Honey 12 lbs.
1tbsp Tannin
1/2tbsp nutmeg
1 stick of cinnamon
1tbsp Wyeast yeast nutrient
before i bottle, going to throw in some clarifier.
Wyeast Dry Mead
with a fat starter
appox. OG: 1.132

23.5oz Organic Blue Agave nectar
46oz madhava raw Agave Nectar
23.5oz Whole Foods 365 Raw amber Agave Nectar
9 pounds Whole Foods Amber Wildflower Honey
1tbsp tannin
1tbsp nutmeg
3tbsp corriander (crushed)
for a total of 14.78125 pounds of honey!
extras:
1 vanilla bean in secondary
and clarifier.
probably going to be sparkling too.
appx OG: 1.130

tell me what you think.

Honestly, I don't think the honey malt is going to do anything. It's main use in beer is to give a hint of honey flavor. Uhm, since this is chock full of real honey I think it's a waste of malt. I would also skip the tannin too. You can add that at bottling if you think it needs it, but with everything else you have going in the recipes I think it'll overcomplicate things.

Otherwise they sound tasty!

Honestly, I don't think the honey malt is going to do anything. It's main use in beer is to give a hint of honey flavor. Uhm, since this is chock full of real honey I think it's a waste of malt. I would also skip the tannin too. You can add that at bottling if you think it needs it, but with everything else you have going in the recipes I think it'll overcomplicate things.

Otherwise they sound tasty!

thanks for the fast reply brother. any idea how these will turn out? i just formulated these in my head tonight and have the ingredients.....thats a lame question but how would mixing multiple honies together change the flave profile?

Are these recipes going to be either/or, or are you making them both? I think they're going to be tasty. I've never fermented agave before, that sounds interesting to say the least. With all those spices blending different honey types isn't going to be as noticable. I do think that the agave and regular honey will make a difference, but as I said I've never fermented agave before so I'm wildass guessing :D

Oh yea and knock down that Coriander from 3 Tbs to 1. A little goes a long way. Trust me. I know. Laurel also made a beer with an oz of coriander and she said it was barely usable as a cooking beer.

Have fun with your slurm!

Wyeast 4632 has an ABV of 18%

I have a similar recipe conversion I did for an 18% and was OG at 1138

What finish SG are you hoping to finish at? Are you making an ABV adjustment for Nutrient? I am planning a SNA / 1/3rd / DAP & Nutrient Additions so I vaguely remember I had to bump the expected ABV up a percent.

You got some nice honeys to play with, I've moved 1/2 way around the world so I got different honeys to play with. Currently fermenting out Stringy Bark Eucalypt 30# approx, and now have Iron Bark Eucalypt 28#.

Still waiting on my Schramm book to arrive via Int'l Post... geez waiting sucks! :)

brewed separately.

i heard fermenting agave is like a tender chard!!!!!! so i dove into a 40% agave 60% wildflower idea, and the other happened because 10 gallons of mead is better than 5.

eff it.

thanks for all the help man!

Wyeast 4632 has an ABV of 18%

I have a similar recipe conversion I did for an 18% and was OG at 1138

What finish SG are you hoping to finish at? Are you making an ABV adjustment for Nutrient? I am planning a SNA / 1/3rd / DAP & Nutrient Additions so I vaguely remember I had to bump the expected ABV up a percent.

You got some nice honeys to play with, I've moved 1/2 way around the world so I got different honeys to play with. Currently fermenting out Stringy Bark Eucalypt 30# approx, and now have Iron Bark Eucalypt 28#.

Still waiting on my Schramm book to arrive via Int'l Post... geez waiting sucks! :)

how much leeway should i give the nutrient?

plus, looking at the nutritional values of the agave honey, alongside the normal honey, agave rings in at 15 to 16g sugar per serving and clover honey is around 16-17.....not a big difference but to say the least, normal honey has more sugar in it....agave must just have a more resilient flavor profile even after fermentation if it tastes like a chard....buttery chard, by the way...

I've never heard of nutrient affecting ABV. I guess it could matter, since it helps with a more complete fermentation (thus making it drier, and lower final gravity = more booze). I don't worry about it when I add nutrient.

Back