no chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roylee

Reaction score
I'm about seven days into an AG no-chill ale (drained from boiling pot as soon as the burner was turned off and sealed in a 5 gal plastic jug to cool at its leasure) and it looks good so far. Aussie forums indicate they use this a lot, but don't see much about it here (may have missed it). I'm interested as I'm set up to brew in 5 gal batches, but recently picked up a 12 gallon fermenter. If the no-chill works my thought is to make a 5 gal batch on brew day, seal, make another of the same recipe later, then when cool pitch them both in the larger fermenter. Is this workable? :

Three letters regarding a no-chill method:

DMS - excessive DMS that gives some home brewed ales a "cooked corn" character.

Slow cooling
Because DMS is created at temperatures below boiling, cooling the wort too slowly means that excessive levels of DMS can be created which cannot be evaporated once the boil has stopped.

The DMS produced during the hot wort stand will stay in solution even if the hot wort tank is vented. For every extra hour of hot wort stand, a DMS increase of approximately 30% will result. The level of DMS in the wort determines the level of DMS in finished beer. In order to predict the level of DMS in finished beer Table V shows the relationship between SMM in malt and DMS in beer.

The major source of DMS in finished beer is derived from its precursor, S-Methylmethionine (SMM), an amino acid, which is formed during the germination and kilning process of malting barley. Barley does not contain DMS or SMM. However, both are formed by the biosynthesis occurring during germination. SMM, also known as DMS precursor (DMSP), is heat-labile and decomposes on heating to form DMS during kilning, wort boiling and hot wort storage.

I've heard the DMS objection, but the Aussies claim there's nothing to it. Guess that's why I decided to try it and see.

I would possibly worry about leching chemicals from the bucket. There may not be anything to it, but I wouldn't do it for that reason.

It's also my understanding that Australian homebrewers are often motivated to brew simply to make something alcoholic, cheap, and drinkable, or at least more often than most north american brewers. It's not that north Americans have more discerning taste in general, but our portion of the population who doesn't care what their beer tastes like can just buy it for next to nothing. My point being, I'm not surprised that most of us on this website recommend different practices than Australian brewers.

I tried it. It worked fine honestly. I split a batch of Edwort's pale ale.
I wouldn't try it with a pale ale or an IPA again due to loss of flavoring hops because it stayed near boiling. Didn't have any DMS.
I would try it with something that didn't have flavoring hops. Wheat, stout etc.

do you know what dms actually tastes like?

I highly doubt it.

If you want a quality product, I can think of about 1000 reasons to rapid chill the wort.

As to why your stout may not have been a bucket full of cooked vegetables... although I bet it still had a significant off flavor...

"When a malt is roasted or toasted, the SMM is reduced beforehand and does not manifest as DMS in the wort, which explains why it is more prevalent in pale lagers. In other styles, DMS is a common off-flavor, and can be caused by poor brewing practices or bacterial infections."

Beirmuncher, I can quote him to ;)

Back