Things to do in Boston.... beer related of course...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRoyLenz

Reaction score
Hey all -

I am going to be in Boston for a few hours tomorrow, by myself, and I'm looking for some fun things to do while I'm there. I'm looking in to touring the Sam Adams/Boston Beer brewery, but I'd also like to hit up a few smaller breweries and brewpubs.

I can't get drunk, because I'm meeting up with my coworkers later in the day, but there is no reason I can't have a few pints.

If you guys have some recommendations, I'm all ears! Heck, if someone wants to come out and meet me for a few drinks, I'd love to meet some fellow HBTers.

Cheers!

I was in Boston for new years. Wentto this place sunset grill with about 100 beers on tap and 300 or so different bottles. Possibilities are endless. No idea what part it is in though. Enjoy.

Sam Adams is a great tour, free and you keep your sample glass, Harpoon has a brewery in boston, have yet to check that out though.

Definitely check out the Harpoon brewery I love their beers. I lived in Boston after college and I lived on their IPA.

I just checked it out and Google maps says it's about a 20 minute drive, but you could also take the T.

Harpoon Brewery
306 Northern Avenue
Boston, MA 02210
(617) 574-9551

Boston is such a great drinking city....

Yeah, go to Harpoon. I went there last year when I was in Boston for a conference. You don't really get a tour, b/c they don't really do that (there's a "viewing platform" above the brewery warehouse where you can look down on all of the equipment, but that's about the extent of it). But, they do a tasting of all of their standard beers with everyone sitting around the bar while they talk about their brewery's history/philosophy/etc. Some good beers, some so-so, but overall I think its a good brewery.

Make sure to call and check on the times. I think they only do one tasting a day, I seem to remember it being around 4:30 or so, but don't quote me on that. Its definitely near the end of the work day...

Boston Beer Works, across from Fenway and the Garden.

Cambridge Brewing Company, off the Kendall stop Red Line.

Rock Bottom downtown area.

Sunset bar and grill, brighton ave. Tons of beer on tap. Right off Green line.

Harpoon and Sam Adams tour.

Bukowski's is also a great beer bar if you just want to go somewhere to have a cold one. Tons of draft and bottle selections and a little dive-y - my kind of place. Right across the street from the convention center.

There is always the cheesy tourist thing to do, go visit the bar used as the model for Cheers. The name of the bar is the Bull & Finch Pub and it is on the Commons. I think it is on Beacon.

I think doing a brewery tour/tasting (Sam Adams is really good as is Harpoon) would be fun. Also, if you want great beer and food go to Cambridge Brewing Company. Brian said it too and I absolutely love the place!

My brother lived in Brookline for awhile and used to rave about The Publick House. Not quite Boston proper but just head down Beacon St.

where ar eyou going to be? anywhere near the financial district? (walking distance from south station).

There's an old irish bar somewhre in there up a flight of stairs (just a doorway from the street, if you don't count the awning.) Ask around, cause I drank away the neam in my brain.
fun, old school, worth it.

I second the Cambridge Brewing Company, good beer and food. It's a 5 minute walk from the Kendall Sq Redline stop. And as you've probably seen in the news, riding the MBTA can be an incredible adventure.

The Sunset Grill has an amazing variety in beverage.

There's also The Lower Depths, a small bar/restaurant near Fenway Park... They have a decent beer selection.

If a tour is what you're after, then Sam Adams is IMO the best in the Boston area.

I was able to fit in Sam Adams in the morning. That was pretty cool, but the whole thing was basically teaching people how beer is made, which I already knew. It was kind of cool seeing where they develop their recipes though. I felt inclined to buy two of their lager glasses, I really like the way those look.

For lunch I made it out to Harvard Square and went to a little dive bar called Grendal's Den. It was recommended to me by my tour guide at Sam Adams. It was cool place, good burgers. There wasn't a vast beer selection, but the drafts and bottles they did have were quality. I enjoyed my first Victory Hop Devil.

At this point, I wanted to get to Sunset Bar & Grill, but I didn't have time. I heard they had Utopias to taste, and I would've liked that, but it just wasn't in the cards.

From there I headed to Harpoon's tasting, which was great. The guy leading the tasting was real cool, very funny, and readily available to answer all of my questions. I walked away with two Harpoon snifters and a 4-pack of their Leviathan Saison Royale.

After this, I made my way to Cape Cod, and I enjoyed a Cape Cod Red during dinner, which was ok.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys!

crap, you have now drank/drunk/drinkded more beer in Boston than I have in the last 2 years!

Back