Motorized stirrer in a dedicated HEX - worthwhile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoutaholic

Reaction score
I was planning to install a motorized stirrer on my dedicated heat exchanger (HEX), but recently read a post in the Brew Science forum that made me question this practice. The poster's point was that, given the convection currents in a HEX, you are already going to get a good degree of temperature mixing, and so any cold spots that form around the HEX coil should not differ in temp from the average temperature of the HEX water by very much -- maybe 0.5 to 1 degree.

Let me first point out that my HEX is a dedicated HEX -- it does not substitute as my HLT, and so is only 8 quarts. I would have made it even smaller if I could have found the right pot. If we were talking about stirring a 10 or 15 gallon HLT that substitutes as a HEX, that would be a different story. Also, I am not trying to do step mashes with this system - I am just trying to maintain the temperature of my mash within 1 degree of my setpoint using a RANCO temperature controller hooked up to a heat source. So the wort temperature should always be fairly close to the water temperature in the HEX. We are not talking about a situation in which the water flowing through the coil is more than a few degrees different from the water temperature in the HEX.

So if the HEX is small, is heated from the bottom, and the copper heat exchanger coil takes up a fairly large percentage of the HEX pot's volume. Does anyone see a reason why a stirrer would provide any benefit in this application?

Back