Immersion Chiller in wort for full boil time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BStone

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been a lurker to these forums for some time, and I finally decided to brave up and ask a question :D.

I stumbled upon 50' of 1/2 inch copper refrigeration tubing at HD for $38.00, and decided that it was finally time to build my immersion chiller. The only thing I had to bend the tubing around was my fermenting bucket. It just so happens that this gave me a bend that fits snugly into my brew kettle, but the chiller rests against the walls of my brew pot.

Is this okay? Will I still see a good temp reduction?

What I really want to know, however, is whether or not I can leave the chiller in the brew pot for the entire boil. Will this affect any part of the process? It would be nice if I could, so I could just hook up the chiller to the sink and get going, versus trying to finagle the chiller in for the last 15 minutes.

Thanks for all the help you all have provided to each other in this forum, it has helped me immensely also! :rockin:

also watch out for the outlets of the hoses, if the coil has water in it, it will boil and start spewing out of the outlets of the chiller.

Back