Would I benefit from treating ozarka water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdeezy

Reaction score
I usually brew with ozarka water, and my brews have turned out pretty well. I have heard that adding brewing salts can highlight the hops.

I am brewing a Stone IPA this weekend, and was wondering if I should toss in some salts to make the hop flavor pop a little?

The most recent report I can find for ozarka is from a year ago, but I doubt it has changed the much since then. Here it is...page 4.

http://www.nestle-watersna.com/pdf/OZ_BWQR.pdf

Looks like everything is pretty low. So what should I add for a decent IPA base?

Add some brewing salts. You usually can get them at the LBS. Don't be surprised at the very low amount you get in the package.

I use Crystal Geyser Spring Water and then use BeerSmith to give me adjustments for the region I am trying to duplicate. I prefer to add each mineral/salt seperately so I know just how much of each goes in.

I have no idea what the proportions are in my LHBS "brewing salts" baggie so I stay away from them.

I use Crystal Geyser Spring Water and then use BeerSmith to give me adjustments for the region I am trying to duplicate. I prefer to add each mineral/salt seperately so I know just how much of each goes in.

I have no idea what the proportions are in my LHBS "brewing salts" baggie so I stay away from them.

Do you have a link for the guidlines for a water profile for different styles of beer? I would like to do the same. Just add what I need in the amounts that I need them.

Thanks

Using this same method of building up a water profile, couldn't you just start with RO? I think it's cheaper.

Do you have a link for the guidlines for a water profile for different styles of beer? I would like to do the same. Just add what I need in the amounts that I need them.

Thanks

BeerSmith software has them and it does a "best fit" calculation for additions based on your starting and target water profiles.

Thanks

I actually think that adding minerals really has a minor effect on the beer unless there is absolutely zero minerals. I have added minerals one time only because I had RO water available.

I would suggest that if you have to buy water, just get purified water because that should have enough residual minerals for yeast to propagate.

Back