Hello from Phoenix AZ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a newbie at homebrewing, been reading alot of articles and hopefully going to buy my equipment in the next few weeks. I am kinda hesitant because it is getting hotter here in Phoenix, and I have heard once I start fermenting I need to keep the wort at a consistant temp. Which would be expensive to keep my AC running all day. Any suggestions would be great.

Hope to get to know you.

Cregar

Welcome,
You are right about brewing in the heat. It gets tougher. Namely the cooling of your boiled wort and keeping the fementer at an optimum temp. There are ways to deal with keeping your fermenter cooler than the ambient temp of your house. I actually keep mine in the garage in the middle of summer using this.

But there are simpler ways as well such as a big bucket you put your fermenter in with a big towel around water and a light fan blowing on it. Kind of like a swamp cooler.

Welcome Cregar;
The temps in Phx. can make it difficult to ferment or even to chill your wort. I was lucky and inherited a small chest freezer. With it I can maintain a any temp needed for fermenting up to 2 5-gallon batches. Look around in the valley and you might find a fridge or freezer for about $0 to $50.
BTW, which part of the valley are you located?

Wild

Wow.. both great ideas. But I live in a "small" 2 bedroom apartment so have a extra fridge or a big tub sitting around wouldn't work to much. I have been doing alot of research on smaller batches... maybe just 1 gallon or 3 gallon batches. I know its just as much work but atleast I won't be taking up as much room to cool a 1 gallon carboy.

Thanks again for the suggestions... always apprecaited.

Hey Wild... I am living around 7th street and Indian School. Central Phoenix area... Steele Indian School Park.

Cregar said:
I am living around 7th street and Indian School. Central Phoenix area... Steele Indian School Park.
That makes a bit of a drive to get supplies from Tempe at Brewers Connection or from Chuck at What Ales Ya on the west side.

Considering the size of your place, the use of a 2.5 gallon carboy should work great for you.

Good luck,
Wild

desertBrew said:
But there are simpler ways as well such as a big bucket you put your fermenter in with a big towel around water and a light fan blowing on it. Kind of like a swamp cooler.

This is my modified tee shirt cooler. Its just 3 paper towels, a fan and a spray bottle. I keep the bottle in the fridge and spray the towels every once in a while. It keeps the temps down a few degrees but not much more. The bin or bucket with bottles of ice works really well....

Bjorn Borg said:
This is my modified tee shirt cooler. Its just 3 paper towels, a fan and a spray bottle. I keep the bottle in the fridge and spray the towels every once in a while. It keeps the temps down a few degrees but not much more. The bin or bucket with bottles of ice works really well....

That is so ghetto! I love it. :D

olllllo said:
Welcome:

New to this forum as well but have been brewing in the Valley for awhile.

:off: Is What Ales Ya still around?

Been going to http://brewersconnection.com and http://homebrewdepot.com

I work in the Biltmore area so if What Ales Ya is still around, I can make it there on my lunch.
Yeah Chuck is still running What Ales Ya but he moved it across the street on Bell. The address is 6363 W. Bell Rd. Let me know which day you're gonna make your run at noon. I'd like to see anyone get to there and back in an hour especially Bell Road. I'm in the Biltmore area (NW corner) too.

Good luck,
Wild

Back