Just pulled the trigger. Now I need a kegerator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger against better judgment on the Brew Logic Triple Tap Draft System with 3-way gas manifold from Midwest brewing. SWMBO decided I should be brewing the beer used at our upcoming wedding party :D. I will be brewing and carbing here in TX and we are driving to IA for the wedding. Of course, I will let the kegs rest a few days to settle. The kit comes with picnic taps so I will be fine serving and there is a full size fridge we can keep the kegs in so I am not worried about the party.

I am more thinking of at our place are there any suggestions on a cost effective kegerator solution? I figure holding 2 kegs and the co2 tank should be fine. I am open to fridges or freezers I just want something cost effective and that works. I did try searching, but the most popular model a Sanyo doesn't seem to be available anymore...

Thanks.

Cheep as all get out.

Free 3.6CF mini frigde, 2x12 cuff, 2 small casters under the cuff. Removed the door and reattached to the wooden cuff. Tap tower is "in progress", but I have 3 kegs serving from picnic taps now.

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

Keep an eye on craigslist for a fridge or freezer for cheap. A friend of mine got a nice 7.5cf freezer for free, some landlord just wanted it out of a basement. I just picked up a cheap fridge for $30 on CL, and it will hold 4 maybe 5 kegs.

Unfortunately, craigslist in my area is dead. I went to a few stores today looking at chest freezers and they certainly seemed the way to go.

Your local newspaper classifieds are good to watch for a small freezer too.

I will check it out.

If I went with a keezer at minimum I could use my picnic taps just opening the door anytime I needed a pour? Eventually I could move up to a tower or add a collar? If I went this route I would need a freezer and a temp controller. Anything else? Any recommendations on an affordable controller?

When I was hunting for a chest freezer on craigslist I noticed that a) they popped up non-stop in my area and b) they all seem to go for the same price. About 100$. I just hung in there until I found a nice big one (around 17-18 cu ft) and got it for 100. They may pop up slower for you, but just keep checking. I don't know how much time you have but CL is the way to go IMO.

Considering my location and CL activity it is looking like the Lowes Holiday chest freezer is my best best. I need to find a good temp controller that doesn't cost too much though...

I will check it out.

If I went with a keezer at minimum I could use my picnic taps just opening the door anytime I needed a pour? Eventually I could move up to a tower or add a collar? If I went this route I would need a freezer and a temp controller. Anything else? Any recommendations on an affordable controller?

That's the beauty of using a chest freezer. Cold air sinks, so when you lift the top to get to your picnic taps you don't lose all the cold air inside. A fridge or upright freezer would.

I will check it out.

I did exactly that for about a month. It did work just fine but I was getting TONS of condensation. That would be fine I guess but I also had bottles in cardboard six-packs and those started to get soggy. When I cleaned it out I realized I even had a mold problem going on. It works but before long I wanted to make a collar.

I will most certainly be wanting to install a collar, but that would cost extra money which I don't want to spend at this time. I will just use damp rid as a temporary solution. Many report that it helps with condensation issues.

If you go with a freezer...don't do a tower.

A collar can be built very cheaply...of course you'll spend about $25 per tap on the down side.

To help stay on top of condensation and to keep the freezer clean...these are great...about $10.00 at Lowe's:

LibmanMop.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I need to talk SWMBO into letting me get a chest freezer now. Does anyone have any temp controller recommendations? I did some searching, but still am not sure what is a good economical choice.

If I were buying another it would be the Ranco. The JC has a basic dial that is not so accurate, and the sensor is a non submersible, I worry about breaking it's capillary line.
Building a collar is not too much $ and you could always drill the holes for shanks, and slide the picnic taps out of the holes, stuff foam in the gap, for now. Buy your shanks and faucets later. That will keep the lid from opening as often.
cheers
-Ben

I bought a ranco 111000. I am waiting for the local Lowes to get the Holiday 5.3 cu ft back in and will probably get one of those as well. I need to read more on building a collar and I will probably do it soon after and then get permanent taps later.

Back