Electric BIAB Basement Brewery aka Lone Wolf Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see your diagram, but in any case if you run a hot leg from the SSR output to the indicator it should work. Same with the pump. Like RocketBrewer said the SSRs will leak if there isn't a load, but the light will be weak compared to normal.

Not sure if this is your issue, but if they are controlled by SSR's and the load is not plugged in, the SSR will leak some voltage and light the light. I Had that happen on my controller when I turned it on without the elements plugged in. Good luck.
I had this too but found that some model/brand ssrs do this and some dont... the cheap foteks leak for sure... the Teledyne I have does not.

BTW @wyowolf , I like your newer volt/amp/w/kwh meter...I just ordered one to "upgrade" mine... it will be nice to see how much juice im drawing in a brew session.

I am going to check my wiring again and try w load. I assume that +5v coming out of BCS is always on?... not talking about the out 0 or out 4.

There was a problem with the wiring diagram, both the 120 v and 5 v were on the same terminals... so fixing that.

Does the BCS have to be grounded to chassis? Or it is already though the power supply

Does the BCS have to be grounded to chassis? Or it is already though the power supply

from the ece wiki page:

Grounding the BCS

The BCS-460 and BCS-462 are powered by a two-prong transformer, which creates a DC operating environment that is not referenced to earth ground. If spurious sensor readings are observed due to ground loops, the GND pin of the BCS should be connected to the system ground.

http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/bcs462.html

Going to finally start using it this weekend. I got the exhaust fan installed and works fine, but a little louder than i would have liked, oh well.

Trying to figure out what my first new batch should be? I am thinking something simple like a wheat maybe...

I didn't plan it out this way, but my wife has been wanting me to brew an Irish Red, so I'm doing that this weekend. Just so happens that St Patrick's day is next month, so this is great timing.

going to run a water test tomorrow to see how the BCS works. Since my set up is pretty simple hope it all goes well. I got a new Galaxy View... perfect size for this application.

Anyone any kind of hoist with a sliding feature? I would like to be able to slide it from the kettle over to the sink about 5 ft or so max. I was thinking some black iron pipe and sliding along that, but not sure how to rig it. just wondering if anyone else does something like this...

Frank

I don't have one, but the first thing that comes to mind is a "barn door" sliding door track with just one roller. It should support the weight and be easy to install. Search for "box rail".

test run didnt go as expected :( I thought I could just use the BCS in man mode to hit a certain temp and maintain it, but when it turns on , it just stays on going right past the set point. Im not sure what I did wrong, but its probably something stupid... any advice?

BCS.jpg

I just realized i didnt update this... sorry.

First brew day went ok, a few mistakes and setup issues. Now all solved :)

got some 1/16 Aircraft cable here at work to raise the basket. And i used some iron pipe as a rail to slide the basket back and forth between the sink and the pot.

Ordered the SS arm that the new CBS is using, the hose didnt work very well... too much of a pain.

the German Hefe ferments like crazy!!

Just need to work on my cleaning in place procedures to shorting the brew times...

brew1.jpg

brew2.jpg

brew3.jpg

brew4.jpg

brew5.jpg

Can you post a pic or two of the sliding rail you rigged up? How it's attached to the ceiling, how the hoist is attached to it, etc?

will try to take one when i get home. Its just black iron pipe with 2 90s and the bases are screwed into the floor joists above with lag bolts. I can hang off of it no problem, then i just use a deer hoist with a steel ring to attach it to the pipe and i just slide it back and forth to the sink.

The SSR heatsink I had was not sufficient, So i went on ebay and found one about 12 inches long by 4 by 2.... for 25 bucks and will use that instead.

Back