Temperature for Lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipi22

Reaction score
I want to make a lager because that is the type of beer that I really enjoy. The problem is that every book i've read (and its been several) it says that they have to be fermented at 50 degrees F or so. I was wondering if that is absolutely neccessary or if they can be made at around 68 degrees. I don't really have the room (or the money) for a minifrigde but really want to make a lager. Any help would be appreciated

You can certainly ferment them at 68 degrees, but this will alter the taste substantially. Off flavors will develop and the resulting beer may not taste much like a lager. In order to make a lager that tastes like the beers you enjoy, you need to ferment at cooler temps.

yes you can use lager yeasts and a lager brew at ale temps, but this is generally called a steam ale rather than a true lager (if memory serves me right)

drvodka said:
yes you can use lager yeasts and a lager brew at ale temps, but this is generally called a steam ale rather than a true lager (if memory serves me right)
Yes, steam beers are lagers fermented at room temp, but they also use a different strain of yeast than other lagers - a strain that is adapted to ferment at higher temperatures.

bikebryan said:
Yes, steam beers are lagers fermented at room temp, but they also use a different strain of yeast than other lagers - a strain that is adapted to ferment at higher temperatures.

I highly recommend White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast. I've made several batches of the same beer with three different yeasts (don't have my book with me at the moment) but it came out best with the SF Lager.

AlaskaAl(e) said:
I highly recommend White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast. I've made several batches of the same beer with three different yeasts (don't have my book with me at the moment) but it came out best with the SF Lager.

Yes I have used that yeast strain as well works very well for higher temp fermenting..Give it a go!

Latest posts

Back