Widmer Deadlift IIPA cloning help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyisrad

Reaction score
I know there is a way, if you have the final stats of a beer, to get the clone recipe. If you know how to do that...I'd love your help. Here are the stats for Widmer's Deadlift ImpIPA, it's freaking good and I want to make it.
I tried fooling around with Beersmith, but couldn't figure out how to do it.
Also, "Alchemy" hops are some sort of combination of hops prepared for Widmer, so are Nelson Sauvin.
SOOOOoooo...If you can figure out this for me, I'd be grateful :)

bitterness
70 IBU
alcohol by volume
8.6%
original gravity
21.0° PLATO
malts
2-Row PALE, CARAPILS
CARAMEL 10-L
hops
BITTERING: ALCHEMY
AROMA: NELSON SAUVIN,
CASCADE, WILLAMETTE
DRY HOPPED: NELSON SAUVIN,
CASCADE, WILLAMETTE

Nelson Sauvin is a specific kind of hop just like any other. In fact, austin homebrew and brewmasterswarehouse both carry them. I have heard of alchemy hops before but I have no idea about where to get them.

Also, in order to make a more accurate clone, we'd probably need a color rating as well.

Nelson Sauvin can be found easily on-line as the Alchemist mentioned above. They are what give Deadlift that jolly rancher/sweat flavor (at least to me) and a clone will not come close without them.

Alchemy is not a particular hop, but a blend of bittering hops used by Widmer/Redhook. The blend changes every year so and there is little information on it. I would just use something fairly neutral for bittering like Nugget.

For a 5 gallon grainbill, I would probably go:

9X% 2-Row
5% Crystal 10L
Y% (.5 lbs) Carapils

So 5% Cystal, 95% minus half a pound 2-Row and half a pound Carapils (if the X and Ydidn't make sense).

Cheers!
Kevin

Back