Help with a Brooklyn Local 1 Recipe Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePGS

Reaction score
Hello. I'd like to make a Brooklyn Local 1 Clone for my dad for his birthday (May 7). Their website has a few details, which are as follows:
"
The grist bill is 100% pilsner malt, but we also add demerara and dextrose to boost the Original Gravity to about 18 degrees Plato. The bittering and flavoring hops are German Perle and the aromatic hop addition is a mix of Styrian Golding and Aurora. We use our house Belgian yeast strain to ferment the beer, we bottle condition with champagne yeast, and have a resulting final ABV of 9.0%.

Local 1 is a Belgian Strong Golden Ale, so doing a little research into the beer style (and other similar styles) should help you develop your recipe. Of principal importance will be a long, low saccharification rest; this will give a very fermentable wort. Local 1 is strong, but also very dry – it finishes in the bottle at about 1.7 ° Plato. With all of these things in mind you should be able to get pretty close to a Local 1 clone. If not, then we have plenty available here for you to drink! Let us know how you do!"

Now that's obviously a decent amount of detail into the grain bill, but the recipes i've googled are nothing like this. Any insight into what I would need to do to make a clone as close to the original as possible would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You're looking at 1.075 OG and FG 1.007 so your mash is going to be in the mash at 148-150 range with addition of dextrose in the boil around 10 minutes.

Hops are going to be more difficult but you know the order so first and second hops are perle and the last additions Golding and auroa.

The yeast will be the most difficult part because it is their house strain so some 1 gallon test batches might be in your future.

You probably want to brew it a few times before serving it in May to get close.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, that is helpful. Any thoughts to the using champagne yeast in the secondary?

It says they bottle condition with champagne yeast which unfortunately I have 0 experience with because I’ve always kegged my beers...hopefully someone can come through that knows more than I do

Back