Tell me about your Hop-Back experience!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tetrylone

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a hopback to filter the cold break, as opposed to using a hopback while the wort is hot? Care to share you experiences?

Also, anyone ever made a gravity fed hopback? What issues are there?:mug:

I've only used my hopback on the hot side. I've never worried about cold break going into the fermenter. I have a pump so most of the time I recirculate chilled wort back to the pot. My pot filter is pretty fine and does a good job of keeping break material out. My concern would be that a filter material inside the hopback that was fine enough to catch the cold break, would tend to clog up. That would be a pain to deal with un-sticking.

Commercial breweries I have seen have a hopback-type filter to remove hot break and hops so they don't clog up the chiller, so cold break still goes into the fermentation tank along with the chilled wort. If they don't worry about it, I figure I shouldn't either so I don't fear the cold break.

Back