Beer going flat in a picnic hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigkelker

Reaction score
When I pour the first beer of the evening, I noticed that I'm not getting the head that I would expect.

I have about a 6ft picnic hose on the keg. I'm wondering if the beer in the hose is flat and only until the beer inside the keg flows I finally receive carbonated beer.

Does this make sense? Should I trim the hose? Is there any benefit of having ANY length in a hose?

6 ft of hose is not a lot of beer. Try raising the tap during the last 3 seconds.

I don't know all answers but I have experienced that my beer goes flat/stale inside hose. So I "burn" a bit before drinking, like I have seen at bars.
good luck!

The beer is still under pressure as long as it is in the hose, so it technically isn't losing any gas, unless the o-rings in your tap are bad. Does your tap line stay cold? The CO2 could be dissolving out of the solution if the line isn't cold.

Why not just pour and dump the first 3-4 oz when you start a new drinking day, which is all that's in the lines anyway, then pour a nice fresh beer from there.

Burn a little! Oh that hurts to hear! I'll enjoy a quasiflat beer before I dump any. <insert alcohol abuse joke>

I was thinking the maybe the line was leeching the CO2, but I could be experience extra head in the second+ beer simply based on the agitation.

I do have a spare connect with a shorter hose, so that should be a simple test!

I switched out to the shorter and wider hose. After draining the 6ft-er, I can't believe how little liquid it contained! Math is crazy.

Back