Can't drink anymore.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gclay

Reaction score
Well the doctor says I can't drink ANY alcohol anymore so I've got to get rid of a few things. I've got 2 chrome taps (1 self closing), 2 shanks, and 2 handles that I've never used.

The shank in the image with the green handle is 4 1/2" and the shank with the black handle is 3 1/2".

The handle is a Henry's Ale tap that 's 7" long.

I paid over $100 including shipping, I'm just looking for $50 plus whatever it costs to ship.

I have to get rid of these and all my beer making stuff.

Thanks guys.

Tap-1.jpg

tap-2.jpg

wow man :( sorry to hear! you could still make beer and make it non alcoholic via boiling and force carbing?

Rivenin,

Wouldn't that just end up tasting like carbonated wort (sugar water)? The big boy companies must have a way of making actual beer and then selectively removing most of the alcohol.

Sorry to hear about that prognosis. Hope most of your stuff gets sold. There are more important things in life than beer though, so don't get too down.

no, you let it ferment out, then bring the whole batch up to 170F (I think it is 170F) to "boil off" the alcohol.

I imagine this will wreak havoc with IBUs and hop utilization. But with some experiementation you could probably add back hop aroma (via hop tea). A stout or porter should taste pretty good even without the alcohol.

Sorry man...you might have to lose homebrewing but if you lose your health, you lost everyhing! Maybe one day down the line your Doc might say its ok again. You never know. Keep your head up and find a new passionate hobby to help fill the void.

Or you can keep brewing and send the beers my way ;)
-Jefe-

Depending on your reason for not being able to drink alcohol, I wouldn't try boiling off the alcohol unless you have some way to test what's left. That process has been discussed on here extensively and it does not seem to remove that much alcohol.

I wonder what reasoning the Dr had? They think you're healthier if you don't drink,don't smoke,don't eat fried foods,exorcize your butt off,use some hokey zen stress relief...what do they know? I've seen people in my family that drank & smoked all their lives & still lived to be 90 something. At least high 80's. I've already out-lived some of those experts myself. So I think a body'd have to be short of a transplant to be told that. He tried it on me,& I'm still here with normal ailments of a hard workin young fool that got old & a little stiff. Gunna start workin on that. Momma thinks she has a way around that protein diet stuff. Whatever it is,it's workin for her.

A friend of mine was taking some kinds of meds when he was fighting cancer. He had to stop his alcohol intake. He's better and working his way back to enjoying the good side of life, life w/beer.

It's because of new medications I'm on, severe reactions with alcohol already tried and almost ended up in the hospital. I'm looking into rock climbing, have a new facility here in town and I'm going to take some lessons.

Don't know the whole situation, but I'd probably look into alternate meds with alternate doctors and see if there isn't a way to make both work, but at the end of the day, even beer isn't worth killing yourself over.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you need those meds badly.

I wonder what reasoning the Dr had? They think you're healthier if you don't drink,don't smoke,don't eat fried foods,exorcize your butt off,use some hokey zen stress relief...what do they know? I've seen people in my family that drank & smoked all their lives & still lived to be 90 something. At least high 80's. I've already out-lived some of those experts myself. So I think a body'd have to be short of a transplant to be told that. He tried it on me,& I'm still here with normal ailments of a hard workin young fool that got old & a little stiff. Gunna start workin on that. Momma thinks she has a way around that protein diet stuff. Whatever it is,it's workin for her.

You seem to be confusing "all smokers/heavy drinkers/whatever die young", with "People (on AVERAGE) who eat right and exercise and don't smoke or drink heavily live longer than people who don't eat right, don't exercise, smoke and drink heavily".

Just because it's not often true for every individual of the population, does not mean that it isn't true for the population as a whole, or that it isn't good advice for you (on average, it would help you live a longer life).

It's because of new medications I'm on, severe reactions with alcohol already tried and almost ended up in the hospital. I'm looking into rock climbing, have a new facility here in town and I'm going to take some lessons.

Have fun climbing! While brewing is a great hobby, it's not the only one. (Good luck finding a rock climbing forum as fun as this one though. )

Sorry to hear man, I'd buy this stuff off you but shipping it all the way to Tennessee might be too cost prohibitive. Good luck on the medical stuff and as others have said, this isn't the only hobby. If you can't kick brewing, do it to give to friends and family.

Also to boiling off the alcohol, you can boil at 170ish but there will still be alcohol in the beer. Even boiling at higher temps you will be left with alcohol, which is why even if you cook with alcohol it is pretty difficult to remove every bit of it. Being that it has side effects with meds I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you need those meds badly.

You seem to be confusing "all smokers/heavy drinkers/whatever die young", with "People (on AVERAGE) who eat right and exercise and don't smoke or drink heavily live longer than people who don't eat right, don't exercise, smoke and drink heavily".

Just because it's not often true for every individual of the population, does not mean that it isn't true for the population as a whole, or that it isn't good advice for you (on average, it would help you live a longer life).
Not at all. He didn't mention the meds right off,or I'd have agreed straight away. That's something not to be trifled with when it comes to cancer meds. And no,it doesn't apply to everyone. Some of us just have different metabolisms. Some of us eat enough of the right,fresh foods,herbs,etc that help prevent certain things. & gym rats can wear themselves out bodily,or purify their system to the point where ingesting something "normal" can have serious effects.

And no,it doesn't apply to everyone. Some of us just have different metabolisms.

Unlikely, given that the evolutionary pressure on metabolic functions would have been very strong, and the time where it hasn't mattered as much is insigificantly short. Anyone who would have a "different metabolism" would be either outcompeted, outcompete his peers, or become the ancestor of a branched-off species.

Some of us eat enough of the right,fresh foods,herbs,etc that help prevent certain things. & gym rats can wear themselves out bodily,or purify their system to the point where ingesting something "normal" can have serious effects.

Help prevent certain what? Obesity? Food is not medcine. Besides that your post is heavily weasel worded ('can have', 'help prevent certain things...')

Fact of the matter is, statistically, being a non-smoker makes you less likely to have a premature death. It is ALWAYS beneficial (rationally speaking) to be a non-smoker, unless the smoking provides enough utility to you that it outweighs the risks. Of course there will be cases of people who live long despite leadign unhealthy lives. But as of now, you have no way to know if you're among them, with any degree of certainty. Even looking at your parents and grandparents isn't enough, given the many random factors and uncertainties that play in.

With all the info on health related food attributes,why make such a narrow minded statement? And weasel worded? I was highlighting certain phrases to make them stand out,since you can't hear the nuances of the spoken words.
And yes,I can't say with certainty if I'm among them. But it can't be ruled out either,since some folks I know smoked & drank as bad as,or worse than me,& they started dying in there mid to late forties. And I don't have cancer or cancerous brain tumors,etc. I always seam to check out healthy for my age. Save for diminishing hormones & the like at my age.
I see your point,but nothing in life,for good or bad is written in stone. Let's get back to the op,shall we?

Couldn't you freeze the beer, remove the frozen beer, dump what is left (the alcohol because it has a lower freezing point), and thaw the non-alcoholic beer?

Couldn't you freeze the beer, remove the frozen beer, dump what is left (the alcohol because it has a lower freezing point), and thaw the non-alcoholic beer?

Methinks you'd have the same problem as the evaporation method. You could remove some alcohol, even most of the alcohol, but not ALL of it. That's why all the commercial NA beers I've seen are still .5% ABV or so. When you're dealing with bad reactions to alcohol, .5% can be more than enough. Keep in mind why allergen warnings appears on items that have no nuts themselves but are made in a facility that uses nuts- there will be trace amounts.

If you had the resources of anhueser busch, you still have difficulty making a truly non-alcohol beer that tasted like beer.

The best way, in my opinion, is to start with 1.012 wort, boil with hops (bitter/flavor/aroma) to make a nice pale ale / IPA, and keg with CO2. No yeast.

Now that is an NA beer.

Sorry to hear you're out of brewing and drinking - brewing is probably my favorite hobby, and when I had Lyme I wasn't allowed to drink for over a month each time (twice) I mean it wasn't the end of the world, but I like having a beer every now and then or several in a short period (ahh Friday nights). Good luck selling off your gear, hope someone scoops it up.
My fiancées' dad wasn't allowed to drink for something like 10 years because of medication, luckily he can drink again and has introduced me to some really good tequila - here's to hoping

I'm a climber. If you are interested in coming down to the Gunks let me know. I can show you around a bit. FYI.....climbing is just as addictive as beer! Check out Dead Point Magazine website for great vids.

I'm going to take a course at the new sports complex. I'm looking at harnesses and shoes right now so I don't have to keep renting them. I just looked at Bon Echo Park and there's over 100 climbs in that park, won't be outdoors until summer, all indoors this winter.

Taps Are Sold, thanks November.

Well, good luck. I'm working on testing the NA (or at least low a) process at home and although I've read threads discussing the inability of getting the alcohol out, I haven't actually read a discussion of why or any numbers from the experiments.

Unfortunately, I also don't have lab equipment that could accurately give an idea of how much alcohol is left after the process. Not looking to get to NA, but just something pretty low, so I can drink more of, or get less buzz if I need to go somewhere or do something that requires better thought process.

I've just done around 5 weeks teetotal (running a marathon Sunday) and can confirm not drinking is a bit rubbish to start with but you quickly find yourself other things and it's not a big deal.

I like ginger beer/ale (none alcoholic stuff) so that has kept me going.

I'm going to have to go back to the prtein diet,so no drinking for several months. Just gotta get started. Wife has one more batch to brew yet...:drunk:
I need to get rid of this other guy in here...it's getting a bit crowded...

Protein diet is a bad idea, you use calcium from your bones to buffer the acid formed processing it and thus weakens your bones and over the longer term will lead to osteoporosis.

Want to lose weight? Eat like a monkey. Fresh fruit and veg little and often. Some beans and grains (quinoa for example) will look after your protein requirements, or maybe some fish.

I still have the book Cleveland Clinic gave me. You balance Keytone usage & insulin levels on the diet. This means you get proteins & "good" carbohydrates while on it in measured amounts. After a max of 8 months,you have to get off it or risk liver & kidney damage from flushing keytones (the fatty acids in your fat cells). You have to watch some veggies & all grains,as they have a lot of starchy carbs. On the protein diet,you can have no grains at all,or shelled beans for example. I went through it once,& suffered no ill effects. Till my wife was in a bad shunt & nearly died. I sat with her after work to care for her instead of getting my usual excersize. That's why I need to do it again.

Protein diet is a bad idea, you use calcium from your bones to buffer the acid formed processing it and thus weakens your bones and over the longer term will lead to osteoporosis.

Want to lose weight? Eat like a monkey. Fresh fruit and veg little and often. Some beans and grains (quinoa for example) will look after your protein requirements, or maybe some fish.

I know this is getting OT but most studies find that higher protein diets are generally associated with improved bone density. More calcium is excreted in high protein diets but actually more calcium is absorbed as well, so it balances out.

Huh... must have been reading different studies than me.

Then again, if everything was known and certain the world would be boring.

I did this with the Cleveland Clinic Dr's,as they are most recognized around the world for heart research,diet,& other things to do with human health concerns & there causes/solutions. It went so well,they had me sign a permission form to use the results for other doctors to study. Kinda cool,but check their research,it works safely when done right.

Huh... must have been reading different studies than me.

Then again, if everything was known and certain the world would be boring.

Here's a couple...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21248199

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19279077

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20657805

(yes I am a nerd!)

Obviously I am looking for stuff that supports my argument and I've no doubt there are many more studies that contradict these... Like you say, if we knew everything the world would be a boring place!

Cheers

Dan

Nice links to read later. But it does seem to support the findings between me & the CC dr's. I was stilll doing manual labor at the time,& broken bones were commonplace under good (read normal) circumstances. This diet taking away calcium likely would've killed me.

I happen to have shoes that I wore one time, they aren't even broken in. If you care to barter, PM me and I can give you more info on the shoes, they are Boreals.
I am sorry to hear that you have to give brewing up.

I'll join the OT crowd. Here's one of my favorite quotes, "There are 6 billion people on the planet. Anyone who thinks they should all be eating exactly the same way is insane".

Also, there are many good medical reasons people have to quit drinking:

1.) Alcohol dependence
2.) Alcohol dehydrogenase deficiency
3.) Alcohol allergy
4.) Liver disease of any kind
5.) Recurrent pancreatitis

etc, etc

I've told many a patient, "Well, no one ever died from NOT drinking".

Doc

Even if she did die of acute alcohol withdrawal, it's still the drinking that killed her.

Being an idiot killed her- drinking was just the assist...

OP - Sorry you are having to give up the hobby. Health outweighs everything else - hope this leads you to a better place on that front.

Back