slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawton

Reaction score
Brewing only my second batch. Using extract. Followed the recipe Who's in the Garden Grand Cru in the Joy of Homebrewing book. This recipe is a Belgian Wit beer, with honey, coriander seed and orange peel.

I put it in the primary fermenter with a starting gravity of 1.051. The wort was a little warm when I pitched the yeast (Wyeast Belgium wit), 80 degrees.

This was almost 6 days ago. After 4 days the gravity was 1.044 and today (almost 6 days) the gravity is 1.0034. So it is still dropping and that is good. But it seems pretty slow. I think the book says it should drop to 1.011 (I might be wrong with that number).

It smells and tastes fine. There is a heavy head of krausen on top.

I plan to just wait it out, but anyone have any other thoughts? Does the honey slow the fermentation?

Why does that seem slow to you? Wait at least two weeks for a beer of that SG before you even begin to concern yourself.

++ yup, let 'er go. I just had a Hefe that took 15 days to finish fermenting. Patience is one of the most needed skills in this hobby!

Good call on waiting it out since it's not really slow, sounds perfectly normal. Nice krausen at 6 days sounds good to me! Sounds like the temps dropped and the yeast are working well.

Back