ABB bottles; going for a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rico567

Reaction score
I posted here about 4 months ago when I bottled a few pints of porter in these:

http://www.abbperformance.com/

The gym I belong to goes through a steady amount of these, so they're easily come by on a daily basis. The bottles that interest me are listed as 18 and 22 oz., and most have had the "Speed Stack" product in them.

The bottles are #1, I assume PETE.

The bottles are opaque, unlike a lot of beverage bottles.

Although the product isn't carbonated, the bottles are very sturdily constructed, with a large cap that makes for easy pouring.

My trial bottling of several of the 18 oz. size was completely successful. They endured bottle conditioning, a thousand mile airplane ride in my suitcase (inside a gallon Ziploc bag to be safe) with no trace of a leak. When they were opened and poured, they showed carbonation & head commensurate with those bottled in 9" longnecks.

I've about got enough for a batch, so I'm going to put something dark in there again. Even though the test bottles were soaked in PBW and sprayed with Star San, they still retained the aroma of the beverage. Since this aroma was not detectable whatsoever in the finished porter, I'm going ahead with a full batch.

NB: Please, no questions as to WHY I'm doing this. Yes, I have bottles, of several different types. No, I don't mind capping. I'm just doing it because I want to......and because if this works out, these will be nearly ideal travel containers.

Awesome Idea. No questioning of motives here...I am one of those that will try things just because I can.

These would be perfect to bottle beer in to take canoeing, camping, to the beach and anywhere else where glass is frowned upon!

I'd just be mindful of open container laws in your state. I'm assuming you can't really "seal" these the way that bottle caps do and some law enforcement(maybe even TSA) might get really huffy about it. Aside from that, cool deal.

I thought #1 bottles were intended for one-time use only, but I may be wrong. I have used #1 water jugs as 1 gallon fermenters, so I would be a hypocrite to tell you to not use them.
Those bottles do seem like a pretty good idea for travel or for the beaches where glass is not allowed.

I'd just be mindful of open container laws in your state. I'm assuming you can't really "seal" these the way that bottle caps do and some law enforcement(maybe even TSA) might get really huffy about it. Aside from that, cool deal.

I'm well aware that these wouldn't be considered sealed containers.....but I've taken my chances with that and similar things before, and that would be just the TSA-type chances.......nothing to do with having one in the passenger compartment of a car.....open container laws under those circumstances can be a bear. The worst that can happen they way I'll handle it is that TSA tosses my luggage and throws my beer in a dumpster. And nothing like that has occurred to date.

I thought #1 bottles were intended for one-time use only, but I may be wrong. I have used #1 water jugs as 1 gallon fermenters, so I would be a hypocrite to tell you to not use them.
Those bottles do seem like a pretty good idea for travel or for the beaches where glass is not allowed.

This is part of the ongoing test. I already did a few successfully. Now for a full batch. If this makes the cut, then I'll keep re-bottling until I start getting failure. I will try to remember to post updates here in the bottling forum as to how far all this goes, and what my results were.

This is part of the ongoing test. I already did a few successfully. Now for a full batch. If this makes the cut, then I'll keep re-bottling until I start getting failure. I will try to remember to post updates here in the bottling forum as to how far all this goes, and what my results were.

I believe the problem with the one-time use is not an issue with an immediate noticeable failure, but an issue with the release of toxins or hormone disruptors. I've heard as long as the plastic is not heated up (kinda vague, I'm not quite sure how hot "heated up" is), it's ok to re-use. I'm no scientist by any means, so maybe do some more research on #1 plastic and make your own reasoning. I'd say, you are probably ok to use them, just don't get them too hot.

Hmmmm......never heard of that theory. As there won't be any heat involved in anything I'm doing, that would appear to be moot in any case.

Latest posts

Back