What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snagged about 5 cases of corkable 750s, at least a case of German style 500mL, and a few more cases of assorted bottles. Did a good bit of the shopping for the 11 course beer dinner I'm making Thursday for my anniversary.

Drove about 45 mins to drop off some beer to the father in law... along with his first actual beer glass and a hoptimum! Was a beer gift kinda day

Swung by the LHBS and picked up a few miscellaneous items. As I was leaving I saw some Rogue imperial red and barley wine 7 oz bottles for $1.50 each. I grabbed two of each, and the owner offered to sell me a case of 24 for $22. I will be swinging by there in the next day or so to take him up on his offer!

bought a newer stand up freezer at a yard sale super cheap.. went to More beer bought a Ranco temp controller and the 10 gal of "Brown Mild" I just brewed is loving life at 63*F :ban:

Brewed 10 gallons of an ag blonde for a local club experiment. Kegged 10 gallons of my ten fidy clone, bourbon oaked 5 of it (1/2 french medium+ 1/2 american medium+) and kegged 5 gallons of my black berlinerweisse on rasberry and blackberries. All while a buddy did a 5 gallon extract batch of the blonde.

Also planned out my kegerator pump box fully included with a hard wired gfi and a remote controlled switch. Just need a few more fittings that are already in the mail...woo busy day

I received my first beer kit on my porch today. And I just finished re-reading chapter 1 and 2 of John Palmer's How to Brew book in preparation for my first ever brew this weekend.

celticdevildog said:
I received my first beer kit on my porch today. And I just finished re-reading chapter 1 and 2 of John Palmer's How to Brew book in preparation for my first ever brew this weekend.

Man I remember that day. It is a great day.
I have to tell you you can read everything in the world and still not know it all. Just take your time and don't worry things will turn out right even if the book says different. That's why this hoppy is so fun you can make it however you want.

Man I remember that day. It is a great day.
I have to tell you you can read everything in the world and still not know it all. Just take your time and don't worry things will turn out right even if the book says different. That's why this hoppy is so fun you can make it however you want.

If you don't hit your numbers exactly you are going to fail. It'll be crappy and awful and you should give up and never try again. You'll end up with infected vinegar and make everyone you know sick....

Justtttttt kidding... You'll end up with beer no matter how you do it. Most important tip is to relax with it and enjoy the process. I was so frantic the first time i brewed i was insane...its funny looking back on it now, but i was a mess..ended up with a drinkable beer...:ban:

ArcticBear said:
If you don't hit your numbers exactly you are going to fail. It'll be crappy and awful and you should give up and never try again. You'll end up with infected vinegar and make everyone you know sick....

Justtttttt kidding... You'll end up with beer no matter how you do it. Most important tip is to relax with it and enjoy the process. I was so frantic the first time i brewed i was insane...its funny looking back on it now, but i was a mess..ended up with a drinkable beer...:ban:

Kind of made me feel like $hit for a min for saying that. Jokes on you.

Delivered 120# of 2-row to some fellow HB'ers today after my 5-hour grain run last Saturday. If I subtract the $25 I spent on gas, we still came out $55 ahead of buying through the local. Part of me feels bad not buying local... but not $55 bad :)

Wrote a few reviews at midwest & picked out the next beer I'm gunna order when I get paid. Needed those points to save $$ on shipping.

Got paid today so went to a new-ish beer merchant/importer in town and came back with this little haul:

ForumRunner_20130530_201757.png

Cost a pretty penny but money well spent I reckon.

The guy in there (owner/manager?) was an absolute legend, he's a homebrewer and we spent a good 30 minutes chatting about beer... He also has a tattoo on his arm of Willamette bines!! Awesome.

Oooh,new toooys! Can I play too?! :cross: I also cleaned up some newly emptied bottles,& a couple delabeled ones. gotta rebuild the extra bottle stash for warm weather shipments...so just in case,I'm busying myself emptying more...

Weighed out grains and hops for a 10 gallon batch of my house 2 Bad Dogs IPA. Unfortunately, this required that I break into an unopened pound of Cascades because I was a couple ounces short of ones I had already packaged. Since I had the Flavorsaver out anyway, I went ahead and measured out and sealed individual packages of one ounce each. After about 10 days of cold rain, tomorrow is supposed to be be 70F and sunny in Portland. Sounds like a good day to brew.

DirtyOldDuck said:
Weighed out grains and hops for a 10 gallon batch of my house 2 Bad Dogs IPA. Unfortunately, this required that I break into an unopened pound of Cascades because I was a couple ounces short of ones I had already packaged. Since I had the Flavorsaver out anyway, I went ahead and measured out and sealed individual packages of one ounce each. After about 10 days of cold rain, tomorrow is supposed to be be 70F and sunny in Portland. Sounds like a good day to brew.

Enjoy!

Going to Bevmo today get more beer to drink so I can have bottles to fill with home brew. Maybe I'll get Bud Light.... Lol just kidding. I'd never by water claiming it was beer.

Cleaned bottles. So many bottles. It's wonderful to score bunches of nice bottles, but I'm down to the evil plastic label SOBs. Hoping to get a barrel or two soon and that 25 cases of 750s per barrel, so I'll keep hoarding.

I made a yeast starter for some WLP090, San Diego Super Yeast, and there was a krausen within an hour. I was surprised, then I remembered the description said, it was a quick fermenting yeast. I just didn't expect it to be that fast.

Caulked some foam board into the tap tower hole of an old kegerator to convert it into a fermentation chamber for this weekend's brew.

Im having a brew day from hell already, and I haven't even doughed in yet. First strike temp was way high, then I had to take apart my bulkhead and redo the teflon tape, while scolding my hands, then the strike water was too cold and there wasn't enough. I got up early, but started late because of all the unforeseen problems.

jperry said:
Im having a brew day from hell already, and I haven't even doughed in yet. First strike temp was way high, then I had to take apart my bulkhead and redo the teflon tape, while scolding my hands, then the strike water was too cold and there wasn't enough. I got up early, but started late because of all the unforeseen problems.

Hang in there buddy. Remember that it always adds to the story of your brew day.

I had a fermenter & bunch of hop socks soaking since last weekend's bottling & brew days. It's taken a couple days this week for me to get it all clean again. Scrubbed,emptied,rinsed,& sanitized FV already. gotta rinse the hop socks & get'em drying. Burned one a little. Haulertauer bittering addition went straight to the bottom for some reason last Sunday. Cleaned out the homer cheapo bucket after all that so it's ready for catching crushed grains tomorrow.

Dropped off two HB's for a local contest at the LHBS, and picked up grains for a pumpkin saison while I was there.

I assembled a temp controller for my new craigslist fridge with an STC-1000 and a Stanley tool box. It is 10:05pm here so I may not finish today, but I think I am going to brew some porter tonight, probably my favorite style and will be my first batch of it, so I am excited...

Racked my cascade/willamette IPA experiment and split into 3 FVs - one with some grape concentrate, one with amylase and one plain.

DSC_0296_zpsef8a368a.jpg

Back