Help with recipe..Partial kit turned Pumpkin??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purist

Reaction score
I am on my third brew here, all partial mash so far. To this point things are going well. My first brew was an ale that turned a bit sour, I think it may have been an infection, things were pretty frantic in the kitchen and my thermometer broke half way through. :drunk: The next two have been right on though.

The big reason I jumped into brewing my own though has been to brew drinks that I can't generally get around here. Pumpkin ale being on top of my list. And that banana bread one is in there too. I love a good pumpkin with great spice, sweetness and creaminess. Pie in a bottle. one of the breweries in town makes a great one, but it only last 3 weeks!

SO I am hoping you can help me pick a kit and develop a recipe to give a run at. The list of kits to choose from is here (link). I have 6 cans of organic pumpkin flesh at the moment.

If you would, please pick a kit and give me an additional recipe that might work well. (might even try a wit or wiezen version)

IF I am way off base here, tell me that too! Thanks a bunch, you've been an incredible resource through the first three.

:mug:

You don't think it's a little late in the season to be making a pumpkin beer? You won't be drinking it until about January. While I'll drink a beer just about anytime, I find that my friends will practically NEVER drink seasonal beers out of season... so if you don't mind putting down pumpkin beers through the spring, go for it.

As for a recipe, just about any beer will work well but people are partial towards amber/red ales first and you'll occasionally see a pumpkin stout. I don't have time to write out an entire pumpkin beer tutorial because there's a lot of stuff to think about. You should just do some reading of all the pumpkin beer threads here.

In general, most people use a little extra crystal malt, canned pumpkin in the mash is easiest, low hop rates, some spice additions at least towards the end of the boil, and possibly some at the beginning.

thanks for the help! Yeah I have been absorbing the threads on pumpkin beers a good deal. Just nervous about picking the right kit mostly! thanks

Back