Kits Ok to Sit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSURaider41

Reaction score
Ok, so I ordered the Austin Homebrew Holiday Ale kit. It is supposed to arrive on Thursday. I am going out of town on Friday and so the next time I will be able to brew is the weekend after. Is there a certain amount of time that these kits should be sitting? And should I have them stored somewhere specific while it is sitting?

+1 and I'll add that if your kit came with LME then that should go in the fridge as well.

What if, as in my case, SWMBO removed the hops from the freezer and put them in a draw 3 weeks ago without telling me? How bad of shape are they in at this point. Assuming 67-72deg room.

Thanks everyone for your input. I believe mine is DME if I remember correctly. Can't quite remember what I requested. However, I will take your tips and make sure that everything survives their short little naps in the fridge/freezer.

I actually called them on this very question. They told me to put the specialty grains in the freezer as well.

Ok so my kit came with specialty grains, hops, liquid yeast, DME, and some special spices.

Specialty grains and hops in the freezer?
Liquid yeast and DME in the fridge?

Spices could just go into my spice cabinet or sit in a drawer right?

Ok so my kit came with specialty grains, hops, liquid yeast, DME, and some special spices.

Specialty grains and hops in the freezer?
Liquid yeast and DME in the fridge?

Spices could just go into my spice cabinet or sit in a drawer right?

All correct except for the DME, it doesn't need to go in the fridge it just needs to stay sealed and dry. Put it wherever you put the spices.

If you are going to brew with the provided kit hops within a month would you need to put them in the freezer or would putting them in the frig be fine for that short time period?

If you are going to brew with the provided kit hops within a month would you need to put them in the freezer or would putting them in the frig be fine for that short time period?

If you have the ability to store your hops in the freezer (the BEST way) then you should, you can only make better beer because of it. :mug:

Yeah, I went ahead and put my hops and specialty grains in the freezer, then stuck my yeast in the fridge and put my DME and the special spices on the counter. They'll be fine there.

Back