How's this Grizzly Grain Crusher look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its basically a corona style mill. it will work just fine but you'll eventually want to upgrade. look up corona mill on here and you'll find lots of info.

I have one. It works fine.......I modified the hopper to be super ugly. :)

I will get a Barley Crusher one day, but until then, no problems.

millen7.jpg

Its basically a corona style mill. it will work just fine but you'll eventually want to upgrade. look up corona mill on here and you'll find lots of info.

I call BS..you don't NEED to upgrade...Charlie Papazian's been using his Corona for OVER 20 YEARS...and gets 87% efficiency...

You telling me Charlie NEEDS to "upgrade?" :D

Pnj, you'll find a lot of info on that style mill, including motorizing it and tweaking it to get great efficiency in this thread here...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

That style or the modded pasta roller are great alternatives to the higher priced mills and work just as well as those that people like punk=rocker, think you need to "upgrade" to.....

I'd rather spend my limited cash on grain myself....

I second Revvy's call for BS.

Bjornbrewer and I both picked up those cheapy mills. With a little modification, Bjorns was uglier than ever, but milled grain like a champ. With a decent drill motor, you can grind your 10 lbs of grain in a few minutes. Granted it takes a bit of tweaking, but you save a good deal of money if you don't need to "upgrade" to a BC. What's in an upgrade anyway? Are you actually going to get a better result, or just make it a bit easier and prettier? I'd rather brag about my tweaked mill than my store bought BC, know what I mean? :rockin:

My (Corona style) mill had a slightly better cast, so my grinding plate is nearly perfect without any modification. All I need to do is replace the cotter pin with a bolt, possibly JB weld it, and add the new hopper and grain catcher around the plates. Bjornbrewer used ducting material from Home Depot to customize it, it's awesome.

Run with what you've got, check out Revvy's thread.

Cheers.

Roman

I second Revvy's call for BS.

Bjornbrewer and I both picked up those cheapy mills. With a little modification, Bjorns was uglier than ever, but milled grain like a champ. With a decent drill motor, you can grind your 10 lbs of grain in a few minutes. Granted it takes a bit of tweaking, but you save a good deal of money if you don't need to "upgrade" to a BC. What's in an upgrade anyway? Are you actually going to get a better result, or just make it a bit easier and prettier? I'd rather brag about my tweaked mill than my store bought BC, know what I mean? :rockin:

My (Corona style) mill had a slightly better cast, so my grinding plate is nearly perfect without any modification. All I need to do is replace the cotter pin with a bolt, possibly JB weld it, and add the new hopper and grain catcher around the plates. Bjornbrewer used ducting material from Home Depot to customize it, it's awesome.

Run with what you've got, check out Revvy's thread.

Cheers.

Roman

Thanks Roman... Hey who's got my grain, and who do I owe money to?

:D

I'll post this from Australia Craft Brewer Radio's website..they've been doing homebrewing radio/podcast for over a decade, and the two hosts have 60 years combined brewing know-how...

Corona mills have gotten a lot of bad press over the years, with claims that they are unsuitable for brewing as the give a very poor crush (i.e. tear the grains rather than squeezing them) leading to flavour and extraction problems. The claims have usually originated from either the manufacturers or owners of the more modern roller mills.

But before roller mills (such as the PhilMill, Valley mill and MaltMill) were available for small-scale brewer, Corona mills were the only ones available. Many brewing books had sections on using and adjusting a Corona type mill. Dave Miller's book from the late 80's had a whole chapter devoted to using and adjusting a Corona mill, and he is often quoted as obtaining extremely high extraction rates from the grain.

Nyah Nyah Nyah

I was looking at the pasta maker when I found this grizzly grinder. The pasta maker requires more work to get it working, it appears. I'd have to rough up the rollers, mount the thing to a board, etc..

I AM a DIY'er but I also live in an apartment right now and don't have all the tools/space I would like to have access to.

what adjustments would need to be made to this Grizzly guy? :)

I got the grizzly mill after i seen the gnomes kick ass set up but i couldnt find any pink tape.lol here is a pic of a beer that i used the mill on like revvy said id rather spend 100+ on grain instead.

hauspaleale.jpg

I have one. It works fine.......I modified the hopper to be super ugly. :)

I will get a Barley Crusher one day, but until then, no problems.

millen7.jpg

That rocks!!! If it works, hell, roll with it...

Do you corona style mill users find that it powders the grain? A local shop here has a HUGH corona style mill & the crush is too fine IMO...

my last few batches i was 83% and no stuck sparges.And my beer is smoother then ever.Was nervous at first then a member here said crush till your scared then crush a little more.lol

I have been using my LHBS's crushers, and they aren't quite a fine as I think my mash tun can handle... so I just bought one of these corona style mills. Hopefully I can increase my eff% a little more.

Besides, now I can make home made tortilla's !

I have had that exact model for about 2 months. 3 brews using it and I have increased my efficiency by about 10 points. Everything has been the same except for the crush. I love it.

If you had a choice between the grizzy mill and screwing up a pasta roller, get a grizzly mill. The corona style mills work if adjusted properly.

I have a BC and feel no shame in a great crush time after time, no tweaking required.

what adjustments would need to be made to this Grizzly guy? :)

Adjustments mainly consist of those needed to get the grinding plate/wheel to sit snug and parallel to the fixed plate. These mills are cast iron and some are better than other when they break the mold. The rest is kinda hard to explain, you gotta hit up Revvy's thread. There is a plethora of helpful tips and info there. Once to get a look, you'll quickly see what needs to be done to your own.

That rocks!!! If it works, hell, roll with it...

Do you corona style mill users find that it powders the grain? A local shop here has a HUGH corona style mill & the crush is too fine IMO...

You can adjust the plate quite easily, but they do require some tweaking in so you don't pulverize the grain, or send the grain through with no crush at all.

Cheers.

get the grinding plate/wheel to sit snug and parallel to the fixed plate.

Yes sir, this advice right here is the key to Corona success!! Once this is accomplished, all grains will be fractured and in pieces, w/ the husk removed and a nice proportion of flour, yet w/ plenty of intact husks for nice lautering. The mill's grinding plate should spin true, and be closely and uniformly spaced to the fixed plate of the mill.

Do this and you will have an optimal crush IMO, well put Roman Brewer.:mug:

I'm super late to the thread. But I"m considering this for my specialty grains. I'm an extract brewer and purchase mt specialty grains in bulk and need to crush them @ home. I broke the marble rolling pin this weekend, and ned to replace it with something that works better.

This looks like the thing to do.

Thanks!

51 pages. Can you tell me approximately (or better, link to) where the info is for the tweaks that need to be made?

In a nutshell:

1) Remove the cotter pin and replace it with a bolt, a nut and some thin washers so your plate doesn't wobble anymore.
2) Add some thicker washers onto each side of the screws that connect the plates to increase the distance of the plates from each other.
3) Fiddle with it until your plates are aligned properly and the plates are at just the right distance from each other.

It took me about 1/2 pound of grain and fiddling with mine for about 45 minutes until I got a good crush.

In a nutshell:

1) Remove the cotter pin and replace it with a bolt, a nut and some thin washers so your plate doesn't wobble anymore.
2) Add some thicker washers onto each side of the screws that connect the plates to increase the distance of the plates from each other.
3) Fiddle with it until your plates are aligned properly and the plates are at just the right distance from each other.

It took me about 1/2 pound of grain and fiddling with mine for about 45 minutes until I got a good crush.

Much obliged.

Back