Chest Freezer or Stand up Freezer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyG

It's beer30!!!
Reaction score
I have noticed that most if not all Keezers have been chest freezers. My concern with this type of keezer is that it seems short. I have noticed that most people take off the top, insert a wood frame and then reattach the top to the wood. It seems like it would allow too much cold out of the unit.

I haven't seen any stand up freezers with the taps going through the door or side. Is there a reason why the stand up freezers aren't being used? I also like the idea of using some of the shelves in the stand up unit for bottle storage...

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Speedy

The collar is pretty efficient if you insulate it and seal it well. Add a small fan and it will cool very well. I wouldn't discount it as an option. The collar also allows you to add taps without drilling holes in the unit.

I looked for stand-up freezers. The biggest problem is finding one without the coils running through the shelves. This seems to be the most common configuration for new units and really makes them kinda useless as a keezer. The shelves are not removable.

My 14.5 requires no collar. I think some people do a collar so that taps can sit higher and not go through the cooler wall.

I just use the picnic taps on my kegs so I didn't even add a collar to my chest freezer.

DSC00712.jpg

How many kegs/faucets do you want to run? Want to have the CO2 tank in the keezer?

In a 7cf chest freezer (with 2x8 collar), I can comfortably fit 3 ball locks and a 10lb aluminum CO2 tanks w/ reg. As mentioned, the wooden collar gives you something to drill holes in without worry. It's also handy for mounting the manifold used to go from your CO2 reg to the gas lines for each keg.

I have an upright freezer that I use for lagering. I'm afraid that, if I used that for my keezer instead of the chest freezer, I would have quite a bit of wasted space and I couldn't make it look as good as I could the chest freezer.

handleson_zpsd8d6d2ad.jpg

Back