starter issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummasan

Reaction score
I made a starter Sat night with WL English Ale Yeast (WLP002). I was fully expecting to brew Sun morning but went golfing instead. I didn't brew at all on Sun.

The yeast was in perfect shape to be pitched Sun. It was sitting on my DIY plate stirrer for about 16 hours. I turned off the stirrer Sun night.

I am now brewing on Mon morning. I left the yeast out overnight - I should have put it in my fermentation chamber - and this morning it has formed a cake on the bottom of my flask.

My issue - do I still pitch it Mon afternoon? Should I wait to pitch it Tuesday? Should I just save the starter yeast for a future batch? I have a dry package I can pitch for today's batch of beer.

I have never used a stir plate (it's on my DIY list), but couldn't you just turn it back on and let it do it's magic all over again?

it's fine. use it today. i've had mine sitting for two days and am planning to brew today. i don't see why you would put it in your fermentation chamber...the idea of a starter is for yeast reproduction...cooler temperatures will slow the process.

if you were going to brew, say tomorrow...i would put it in the fridge overnight, then you could pour off the top layer of beer (it's not very tasty) but if you're brewing today, i say pitch the whole thing. that's what i'm doing :)

I frequently make my starter several days to a week in advance. Crash cool and store it in the fridge and then use it within a week. No problems so far...

Back