What commercial beers are most weighted toward the Malt ( least bitter )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
If I wanted to drink a beer that is the least bitter, most malt focused beer, what commercial beer would you suggest? I think that Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock may be the sweetest/ least bitter beer I've tried. Any other suggestions?

Rouge's Dead Guy, in the pretty growler if you can find it. Probably in my head, but it doesn't taste the same in the 12oz bottles.

Any Oktoberfests/bocks/most Belgian styles(Quad,Dubbel,Dark strong, golden strong,tripel).

There are other beers that are malt-forward, but I can't think of much of anything that's more specifically malt-focused than the dopplebock. Maybe Utopias, but even that is fairly heavily dominated by the maple syrup additions. I've only had Fat Tire a couple times, but I recall that being more of a balanced pale ale, with some malt but still reasonably balanced.

EDIT: I'd also say that it's not necessarily the "least bitter" that you're looking for, as that would probably be something like Mich Ultra. It's the lowest bittering-to-gravity ratio (BU:GU), the relationship between the beer's IBUs and its original gravity. A beer like a dopplebock may still have a decent amount of IBUs (25-30-ish), but they won't be nearly as present as if the beer's starting gravity was only 1.035.

EDIT 2: Not necessarily "malt" focused in the way that a bock is "malty," but a lot of sour beers (lambics, etc) have virtually no bitterness. Traditional lambics are brewed with aged hops that have essentially 0% alpha-acids. So again, be a little careful with the specific question you are asking.

Back