Where can I get Calcium Chloride...Today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
I can't find this stuff. Aquarium stores / hardware stores. They have salts that are a mix (that have CaCl2 in them, but nothing pure).

Drug stores?

Homebrew shops, or some specialty shops that have cheese making supplies.

I can't think of a supplement that a pharmacy or health food store would carry that is composed exclusively of CaCl2.

Reading the composition, I'd want to know what the other 10% is before using.

do you want the liquid or flake? You can get it in either format from a Readi-mix cement company. They use it to delay the hardening of cement products and forms. I but the liquid to use in my ATV pull behind sprayer to keep my driveway clear of snow and ice...as it doesn't freeze down to about -15F

liquid is CaCL2 natural state. You should be able to get it for about $1.50 a gallon...or for the flake about $12.00 per 25 pound bag.

HTH
Dan

Look for a Chemical Supply in your area. Debtor Prison doesn't show up on a map. Guess it's just one of those places every knows how to get to.

I was turned on to a local chem supply and now get CaCL for ~$4/lb

http://www.damprid.com/downloads/2008MSDSCalcium.pdf

FWIW.

Sometimes, in the strangest places. Caveat emptor, I have never used it for this but I am compelled to try.

Reading the composition, I'd want to know what the other 10% is before using.

+1

Hazardous Components (Chemical Name) CAS # Concentration
1. Calcium chloride 10043-52-4 79.0 -85.0 %
2. Sodium chloride 7647-14-5 1.0 -2.0 %
3. Potassium chloride 7447-40-7 2.0 -3.0 %

At max, you only know what 90% of this stuff is. What is the rest? Filler? Perfume? Unknown? YMMV, but I'd not put that in my beer.

liquid is CaCL2 natural state.

Liquid CaCl2 is actually CaCl2.2H2O, while solid CaCl2 is anhydrous (no water). If you are trying to adjust your water profile, then you the amount you add would be different (part of the mass of the liquid form is the water of hydration). Normally, the anhydrous (dry) is used (AFAIK).

+1

At max, you only know what 90% of this stuff is. What is the rest? Filler? Perfume? Unknown? YMMV, but I'd not put that in my beer.

Ever use 5.2? How long before you knew what was in that?

I don't disagree except that MSDS are required to list trace amounts of everything in a product. Yes, I find it peculiar there is a 10% hole there but doubt it amounts to anything serious.

In the same respect, could be cornstarch as a binder or something which could cause haze.

+1

Sodium Chloride is plain old table salt and Potassium Chloride or KCl is used in medicine, scientific applications, food processing and in judicial execution through lethal injection. It occurs naturally as the mineral sylvite and in combination with sodium chloride as sylvinite.

And liquid CACL2 is NOT properly known as CACL2.2H2O liquid Calcium Chloride IS a liquid in it's unmodified, unaltered state.

if you want pure 100% Caclium chloride..go with the liquid...it has not been modified at all.

Dan

5.2 is formulated specifically to add to beer. DampRid is not.

DampRid is not labelled accordingly is the only point you have.

My point is, these salts we use can be found in the most unlikely places. Calcium Chloride is commonly used as a de-icer or dessicant. And often times, comes from the same pile that gets packaged and used for food grade applications.

DampRid is not labelled accordingly is the only point you have.

My point is, these salts we use can be found in the most unlikely places. Calcium Chloride is commonly used as a de-icer or dessicant. And often times, comes from the same pile that gets packaged and used for food grade applications.

Except that last 10% could very easily be something that's not safe in food, since that's not their target market.

And liquid CACL2 is NOT properly known as CACL2.2H2O liquid Calcium Chloride IS a liquid in it's unmodified, unaltered state.

if you want pure 100% Caclium chloride..go with the liquid...it has not been modified at all.

At 770C you are right, calcium chloride will be an ionic liquid. There is no such thing as "pure liquid calcium chloride" at room temperature. Ever tried melting another common ionic compound, table salt (NaCl)? Same principle. ;)

Any liquid form of CaCl2 will be dissolved in water (i.e. the hydrate CaCl2*X(H2O) ). If you want pure Calcium Chloride you buy the anhydrous solid.

@Gila

Does DampRid change color when it has absorbed all of the water it can handle? Some dessicants often come with a blue to purple indicator mixed in with the salt to let you know when it's saturated. I wonder if that might make up the other 10% of the product?

Does DampRid change color when it has absorbed all of the water it can handle? Some dessicants often come with a blue to purple indicator mixed in with the salt to let you know when it's saturated. I wonder if that might make up the other 10% of the product?

No, it becomes a liquid and drains away from the rest of the solids

Damprid is not food safe. The stuff they use to melt ice is not food safe either.

That is why the MSDS says if you ingest some Damprid seek medical attention.

You have to be careful.

Forrest

Not labelled food safe is ALL I am argueing. The MSDS on my FOOD GRADE Calcium Chloride says to seek medical attention if you ingest it.

All I am saying is that for a product to be labelled Food Safe, somebody pays for that. Otherwise it's not labeled as such. Don't use the DampRid but do not argue beyond a reasonable doubt that it is any different than Baker and Crosby or LD Carlson packaged CaCl at $4 an ounce (Sarcasm intended).

Information is not there either way. Again, my ONLY point is that everyday products use this stuff.

Not labelled food safe is ALL I am argueing. The MSDS on my FOOD GRADE Calcium Chloride says to seek medical attention if you ingest it.

All I am saying is that for a product to be labelled Food Safe, somebody pays for that. Otherwise it's not labeled as such. Don't use the DampRid but do not argue beyond a reasonable doubt that it is any different than Baker and Crosby or LD Carlson packaged CaCl at $4 an ounce (Sarcasm intended).

Information is not there either way. Again, my ONLY point is that everyday products use this stuff.

No it doesn't cost any more for the MSDS to say food safe. Those are just words. It costs money to have an MSDS made.

If it is for cheese it isn't always needed. I wouldn't eat or serve cheese made with Damprid. Sorry.

Forrest

Sodium Chloride is plain old table salt and Potassium Chloride or KCl is used in medicine, scientific applications, food processing and in judicial execution through lethal injection. It occurs naturally as the mineral sylvite and in combination with sodium chloride as sylvinite.

Right. They were accounted for in the MSDS. It what wasn't accounted for that worries me.

Dan

Huh? It doesn't have to have been modified. Anhydrous calcium chloride and hydrated calcium chloride are both calcium chloride. One just has extra water with it that make it hard to know how much actual calcium2+ and chlorine+ you adding to the beer.

CaCl2 + 2 H2O → CaCl2·2H2O

Calcium chloride, CaCl2, is a common salt. It behaves as a typical ionic halide, and is solid at room temperature. It has several common applications such as brine for refrigeration plants, ice and dust control on roads, and in concrete. The anhydrous salt is also widely used as a desiccant, where it will adsorb so much water that it will eventually dissolve in its own crystal lattice water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_chloride

No it doesn't cost any more for the MSDS to say food safe. Those are just words. It costs money to have an MSDS made.

If it is for cheese it isn't always needed. I wouldn't eat or serve cheese made with Damprid. Sorry.

Forrest

To have a product approved and labelled as food safe does cost money. Even if it's plain old table salt.

Ever use 5.2? How long before you knew what was in that?

I don't disagree except that MSDS are required to list trace amounts of everything in a product. Yes, I find it peculiar there is a 10% hole there but doubt it amounts to anything serious.

In the same respect, could be cornstarch as a binder or something which could cause haze.

I don't use 5.2.

A 10% "hole" in something that is not intended to be consumed is just not acceptable to me though. YMMV.

To have a product approved and labelled as food safe does cost money. Even if it's plain old table salt.

To have a product manufactured for consumption also costs a lot of money. Table salt is going to be purer (and have had more analysis) than piles of rock salt intended to be spread on roads.

Calcium Chloride as per US Food Chemical Codex

CaCl2 Formula wt, anhydrous 110.98

CaCl2·2H2O Formula wt, dihydrate 147.01

DESCRIPTION

Calcium Chloride occurs as white, hard fragments, granules, or powder. It is anhydrous or contains two molecules of water of hydration. It is deliquescent. It is soluble in water and slightly soluble in alcohol. The pH of a 1:20 aqueous solution is between 4.5 and 11.0.

Function Firming agent.

REQUIREMENTS

Labeling Indicate whether it is anhydrous or the dihydrate.

Identification A 1:10 aqueous solution gives positive tests for Calcium and for Chloride,

Assay Anhydrous: Not less than 93.0% and not more than 100.5% of CaCl2; Dihydrate: Not less than 99.0% and not more than 107.0% of CaCl2·2H2O.

Acid-Insoluble Matter Anhydrous: Not more than 0.02%; no particles per kilogram of sample greater than 2 mm in any dimension.

Arsenic Not more than 3 mg/kg.

Fluoride Not more than 0.004%.

Lead Not more than 5 mg/kg.

Magnesium and Alkali Salts Anhydrous: Not more than 5.0%; Dihydrate: Not more than 4.0%.

link

Did your MSDS list how much arsenic, fluoride or lead it contained? These might be listed here as they are common contaminants during the manufacturing process (I don't know, but it seems possible). Food grade stuff would have to be assayed for them, and the amount reported. Non-food grade, and they don't need to check for it. So, 10% of Damprid could be arsenic for all you know...

To have a product manufactured for consumption also costs a lot of money. Table salt is going to be purer (and have had more analysis) than piles of rock salt intended to be spread on roads.

Partially my point. That statement is not true in all cases tho'. Many sea salts are unrefined. And Halite, or Rock Salt is also used in making Ice Creams. Wasn't necessarily manufactured differently just somebody ponied up for the label.

All I am saying is that, in many recent talks lately with chemical suppliers, that often times the label is the ONLY difference between products having the same grade constituents. And that, if you look at MSDS of many of the products you use you may be surprised how many and how large the "holes" are. Just makes it undefined not "necessarily" unsafe.

Calcium Chloride as per US Food Chemical Codex

link

Did your MSDS list how much arsenic, fluoride or lead it contained? These might be listed here as they are common contaminants during the manufacturing process (I don't know, but it seems possible). Food grade stuff would have to be assayed for them, and the amount reported. Non-food grade, and they don't need to check for it. So, 10% of Damprid could be arsenic for all you know...

Oddly enough. No it doesn't. Doesn't even list the percentage of CaCl but, is packaged as Food Grade on the label as well as the MSDS. And I know this refers to not ingesting the CaCl straight but, it also says to avoid ingesting.

It's a generic MSDS at that with the manufacturers specifics.

Furthermore, an MSDS is not required to list proprietary formulatons but the manufacturer is required to release the makeup when requested by a physician.

Furthermore, an MSDS is not required to list proprietary formulatons but the manufacturer is required to release the makeup when requested by a physician.

So this is probably what makes up the missing 10% - something proprietary. Along with some arsenic?

You know - this has gotten to the level of discussing the use of propane burners indoors. No, its not recommended, but if it falls in your acceptable comfort zone for safety, then go ahead and do it. Just let know if you serve me any beers made with industrial chemicals though, as I'd like the option to pass. Damprid won't be going in my beer.

Latest posts

Back