What to do, chest freezer or??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Hey all, I came into some more capitol to advance my brewing equipment. Here is my quandry... should I purchase a 5-8 cu. ft. chest freezer for fermenting OR should I purchase a small fridge? The problem that I see with the small refrigerators is that they have that "step" in the bottom where the compressor and such reside, thus making it impossible to insert my carboy. ANY IDEAS??? Any models out there that you use?

Pol

For fermenting and lagering, I went on ebay and bought a used commerical refrigerator. I think I spent something like $150 plus shipping. It was sort of beat up and has Pepsi written all over it but it works well and resides in the garage. It's a True so I can get parts for it if I need to. Only downside is that there are doors on both sides of it and they are sliding doors so the opening is a little narrow at 14.75 inches. I can put two 6.5 gallon and one 5 gallon carboys in it fairly easily.

I have used a fridge on a temperature controller, and you can overcome the step buy building a small wooden shelf that fits in the bottom. The downside to a fridge is that you have limited space.

Soon I will get a freezer and move my temp. controller to it for fermenting/lagering. The upside is that you can get big freezers to hold a lot of fermenters, and the freezers hold in the cold a bit better (since cold sinks and won't run out like when you open the fridge door). The downside is that the fermenters are harder to lift in and out of the cooler (but not a huge issue).

I would also be very tempted to follow Craigslist or the local classifieds. People often give away old chest freezers (and fridges), or let them go for next to nothing.

The Pol said:
Hey all, I came into some more capitol to advance my brewing equipment. Here is my quandry... should I purchase a 5-8 cu. ft. chest freezer for fermenting OR should I purchase a small fridge? The problem that I see with the small refrigerators is that they have that "step" in the bottom where the compressor and such reside, thus making it impossible to insert my carboy. ANY IDEAS??? Any models out there that you use?

Pol

Chest freezers also have a hump.

Have you seen this recent post?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25756

I've picked up a chest freezer so I could use it for lagering as well. I want to have several types of brew on tap and I have the space in my new bar. I have to keep my eyes open for a temperature controller, but other than that, the freezer is tall enough that I don't have to build a skirt. I'll put my CO2 tank on the hump.

I found a nearly new20 cu/ft refrigerator for $100 on craigslist in my area... there was not much to be had around here for less than $150. I suppose I have time to shop though, as I will not need it until I brew in July... I was just curious as to what makes or models may be better suited for brewing. I like the fridge for ease of access, but there may be alot of wasted space unless I can utilize the shelves and double up my fermentors.

Pol

I am not sure about best makes and models, but you might want to pay attention to the energy rating on freezers and fridges. The older units, especially, can suck back a lot of power. That's one reason why you see so many of them in the classifieds - people upgrading to more energy efficient ones.

Agreed... I already have the controller, just need to get a suitable fridge or freezer to put it on. I am excited to have the ability to start lagers too!

Pol

Yeah, me too. I just have to get around to finding a freezer. My old fridge can't get down to lagering temperatures very well, and now it has my kegging system in it.

Craigslist... I just found a guy that lives 2 miles from me with a 4 year old 8cu foot chest freezer for sale for $100. I think the cheapest freezer that I found NEW was about $160-$180 for a 5cu foot freezer. This hobby is getting WAY out of control....

Pol

The Pol said:
Craigslist... I just found a guy that lives 2 miles from me with a 4 year old 8cu foot chest freezer for sale for $100. I think the cheapest freezer that I found NEW was about $160-$180 for a 5cu foot freezer. This hobby is getting WAY out of control....

Pol

Dude, that's a great price for 8cf! Congrats. I paid $140 for a brand new 5.5 cf unit from Sam's Club. But this is one investment that I NEVER regret, and you won't either. It gives you complete control over your temps in the summer (or anytime, for lagers). I also store my hops, yeast, and cold-conditioning bottles in there.

Thanks, I am excited, it will be great to ferment with peace of mind! Also, I am geeked to start lagering. My wife and I both get monthly allowances for our own hobbies and such... so saving some $$$ on Craigslist means that I can buy some other cool stuff... in the past 3 months I have bought, built....

A new 10 gallon rubbermaid AG system $$$$
A new 3 tier (with wheels) gravity system $$
Spare propane tank $
Yeast starter Kit $
8cu foot freezer $

I have so many other ideas!!

Bought me Frigidaire freezer today... 8cu feet, large enough for 2 carboys, guy down the road had it, 2 years old, $100... I cannot wait to get moving on some lagers and have the freedom to not worry about my summer time ales too! It sayes it is a "heavy duty commercial" freezer, it is really quiet, maybe just a heay duty compressor?

Pol

The Pol said:
Bought me Frigidaire freezer today... 8cu feet, large enough for 2 carboys, guy down the road had it, 2 years old, $100... I cannot wait to get moving on some lagers and have the freedom to not worry about my summer time ales too! It sayes it is a "heavy duty commercial" freezer, it is really quiet, maybe just a heay duty compressor?

Pol

Awesome! Man, I am jealous. I gotta get one, too. I think that is a perfect size for a fermentation chamber. Let us know how it works out.

And they tend to stamp 'heavy duty commercial' on a lot of things. I would be surprised if it meant anything more than a slightly more heavy duty (or larger) compressor. But that's great -- I bet it will perform well and last a long time.

Now don't forget to get your Damp-Rid!

Getting jealous. Need more toys. Off to craigslist again. Awesome find Pol.

I have the sanyo. I love it but now that I keg exclusively, I wish I had a chest that could hold 5 kegs.

My only solution. Go buy a chest freezer to keep in my workshop for cold conditioning and serving my persoanl favorites, and move the Sanyo upstairs for "public" consumption.

Decisions, decisions....

desertBrew said:
Saw this in my area. Doesn't state cubic feet though. Based on dimensions, what size anyone think? Been there for a while; might offer 75-100?

http://tucson.craigslist.org/hsh/306334614.html
3.5x3.5x2.1 looks like it's plenty big enough for 2 cornies front-to-back and 3-4 from left to right, even with the hump.

BierMuncher said:
3.5x3.5x2.1 looks like it's plenty big enough for 2 cornies front-to-back and 3-4 from left to right, even with the hump.

Dimensions were similar to a 7cft one at best buy. Just emailed the seller. I'm looking for fermentation and cold storage; beer fridge is already good to go.

Desertbrew... that looks EXACTLY like mine... ha, that is funny, same ON light and drain plug hole (blue dot on front) GET IT!!!!

Pol

I have 2 - 5 cu ft freezers. One for fermenting, other for storage. I'm looking to get a 4.3+ cu ft mini frig to do fermenting, so I have more space for storage. I use a 7.50 gal s/s turkey fryer pot with a hole, s/s ball valve and upward looking elbow on the inside for a fermenter.
Will let you know how things work out. More storage is a good thing

The Pol said:
Desertbrew... that looks EXACTLY like mine... ha, that is funny, same ON light and drain plug hole (blue dot on front) GET IT!!!!

Pol

She's still got it. Emailed her for cubic feet dimensions. About 4 miles from my house. Hope to check it out tomorrow and offer 100. I'll mention, hey that's what Pol paid.

nanner dance! :ban:

Hey Pol - you see how many cornies you can fit in there yet? I got 6 of them and think I'll start doing secondary's in them instead of carboys. I'd fear what may occur trying to get a carboy into there!

Oh I am only using brewhaulers to get carboys in and out...:D :D

Back