Low mash temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynobyte

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 10gal batch of pumpkin ale. I doughed in at 144 instead of my target of 152 due to a lengthy transfer of the strike water in to the mlt. My 10gal Rubbermaid cooler mlt is maxed out so I cannot add more water. My recipe calls for a 75min mash. Will I be ok or should I extend it to 90 to help get a proper conversion?

Enzymes will work below their ideal temperature, but *MUCH* more slowly.
Your Alpha Amylase will have some impact but I think it will take longer than 90 minutes.

Can you not remove some water, say a gallon, boil it, and add it back in?
Not a decoction, just a heating of some water.

Gonna chalk this up to user error on my thermometer. I just checked again and almost 65mins in to the mash & I'm at 151. Not sure WTH I was doing earlier to get such a false reading.

Gonna chalk this up to user error on my thermometer. I just checked again and almost 65mins in to the mash & I'm at 151. Not sure WTH I was doing earlier to get such a false reading.

May not have been stirred enough causing temp to stabilize for the last reading.

Latest posts

Back