secondary Krausen? (pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAbrewer

Reaction score
Hello,

My beer has been in the secondary for 13 days now. There seems to be a thin layer or bubbles... doesn't really look like krausen. This beer is my first brew. It is a BB Brew Kit Russian Imperial Stout, partial mash. I also added chocolate at the start of the boil. O.G. was 1.065. The gravity right before racking to the secondary was 1.020. The recipe called for 1.020-1.030.
I think i may have racked to the secondary a little too soon. Primary stopped bubbling after only 3 days or so. I am not all that concerned, just curious as to the bubble/foam layer on top. Trub is really thick, which leads me to believe that i racked just a little early. I racked to the secondary on the 4th day. I know everyone always says a week, but the primary was down to a bubble every 5 minutes or so. Also that was before i read about the 1,2,3, rule.
So,i basically wanted to give you guys a look a see what your opinion is. Again, this is my first brew, so i can't say i have ever seen beer ferment before. I am thinking i may bottle this weekend. That will make it around 16 or 17 days in the secondary. Also, there definitely doesn't seem to be much clarity to it.

dsc00110tg4.th.jpg

yeah, it doesn't seem to be a true imperial, but i would say it is fine. perhaps it went down a few more points, too, take another SG reading.

and next time don't rack until it is done fermenting (when SG reads the same two days in a row). don't rely on the airlock bubbling.

1. The beer looks fine.
2. You may have racked to secondary a little early, but it won't hurt anything.
3. Congratulations on your first brew! :mug:

it's a good thing you did a secondary otherwise you might have some bombs to clean up. i wouldn'y worry.

robbase9 said:
a R.I.S. at only 6 % ABV? Is that what the recipe is calling for?

The recipe called for O.G. of 1.070-1.080 and F.G. of 1.020-1.030 ABV of 7%-8% Definitely alittle low for a Russian Imperial Stout. However, i am thinking my first reading may have been alittle off. I believe i took a reading after i added water to the wort, and possibly did not stir it much. This reading would have come from having alot of water on top of the brew. Also, my F.G. reading was done a bit early condering i racked after 4 days. So, i am thinking it may turn out right around what the recipe called for. Thanks for the input. I will certainly wait out racking a few more days next time, and take more gravity readings. As long as the end result is good, thats all that matters at this point. Fine tuning will come in on the following batches. Next will be a double IPA. I am jumping right into the deep end! I feel obligated to brew my favorite brews. :)

Happy brewing!

Back