What else is homemade at your house??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from beer, we have dairy goats so we get fresh milk daily, make cheese, fudge, soap, ice cream from the milk. My wife bakes all our bread. She also spins yarn, so we are completely outfitted with warm socks, mittens, scarfs, sweaters, wash cloths and other assorted fiber related goods. We also raise our own meat birds (chickens, turkeys) and every so often pigs (they grow great on the goat milk).

Do you have your own shop or work for someone? I sort of took this summer off, but I was roasting a few pounds a week to sell by the cup with our baked goods at the farmers market. Everyone says 'you should open a shop' but they don't know how much a professional roaster costs and I'm more than a little intimidated by the idea of sinking that much money into it. We don't have a single roaster in the area, so it's very tempting.

I don't own the place but I can help you out if you do decide to open a shop, I have lots of experience. You've got the right idea selling brewed coffee with baked goods. Get to know our local market and start small. Explore all your options as far as equipment, it doesn't have to be brand new. And think of this: yes, professional roasters are expensive, but have you seen how much pro brewing equipment costs? and there's so much less regulation to deal with. PM me if you want to talk more about it

I've been fermenting a lot of veggies lately. Sauerkraut, carrots, cucumbers, radishes. All delicious.

Wife makes various cleaners, laundry soap, etc.

I make jam too... rhubarb, apple pie, wild grape, blueberry, and raspberry (all from hand picked fruit - most foraged)
Also, I make vanilla extract, bread, pasta, tomato sauce, beer, and every meal we eat.

Back