Adding honey to secondary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpm5171988

Reaction score
I want to try adding honey to my amber ale recipe. I brewed a 5 gal batch that has been in primary for 11 days now, and I plan on transfering it to secondary today. I want to add 1lb of honey. From what I understand, I need to mix it with a little bit of water and pasturize the honey/water mix before adding it to my 5 gal carboy, prior to racking. Is this the correct procedure? Won't this effect the accuracy of my ABV calculation, since the gravity will change after adding the honey? What can I do to get an accurate ABV calculation when the beer is finished? Any information/advice would be helpful.

1 pound of honey in a 5 gallon batch will increase the OG by .007

You can pasteurize the honey -- your procedure is good, though some might argue that the honey is already sterile. Another option would be to add the honey to the primary and let it ferment there. The honey will cause fermentation to restart and add some sediment.

Back