Boiling Thermoplastic Tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGlass

Reaction score
Would there be any issues with boiling thermoplastic tubing as a cleaning/sanitation process? It's rated to 275*F so I don't see why not, but maybe someone has some info that I'm not thinking of...

This looks like basic PVC tubing. Although it won't melt at boiling temps, it becomes quite soft and is miserable to work with. You'd be better off with silicone or reinforced PVC.

This looks like basic PVC tubing. Although it won't melt at boiling temps, it becomes quite soft and is miserable to work with. You'd be better off with silicone of reinforced PVC.

(Stupid question) Isn't PVC bad to work with at high temps (i.e. not food safe?). I'm not concerned about it being soft (I would let it cool), but now you've got me thinking about leaching something awful even though its rated over 212...

If you can run boiling wort through it I see no reason you can't boil the tubing. I would check with the manufacturer. I prefer Silicone because of the 500F temps, however I usually just run oxyclean through the tubing and then leave it soaking for a while and finally rinse.

I've got the same stuff from NB and that's how I clean mine after a brew day and haven't had any issues thus far. The only problem I've had with the stuff was when I let it get to close to a burner for too long without noticing, turns out the tubing doesn't like direct flame.

Back