Somehow i'm doing way better with my efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
I have been getting in the low 70s for efficiency and on friday i got 79% brewhouse and today i hit about 85% with batch sparging. I'm stoked! Not exactly sure what i'm doing different.

Where do you get your grain from? Every time I brew with Brewmaster's Warehouse grain, I top 83-90% eff. I don't know if it has to do with their "crush", or if there is more grain than what I ordered. I don't ever weigh the grains from those guys, so I'm wondering if when I think I'm using say 10 lbs of 2-row, maybe they sent me more like 11 lbs? Either way, it's a nice "problem" to have.

PS...I don't know how much this has to do with my eff., but I typically mash thin-like 1.5 to 1.75 qt/lb. And I only do a single batch sparge.

I do get some of my grains from them but i do all of my crushing. The setting on the barley crusher has been the same. I do a single batch sparge all the time. The only thing i can think of that i did different is 1) added boiling water after the sach. rest to mash out-2) Overshot initial strike temperature (intentionally) and stirred for 2-5 minutes to lower the temperature to target. It could be those things i guess. I'm also using simpson's Maris Otter, but i doubt that has anything to do with it. I also use a SS braid hose.

Crush my own, get 85-86% every time with single batch sparging lol

Back