bad hydrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
I know, my efficiency probably sucks, but I always seem to get low original gravity readings. However, my 'spidey sense' tells me my beers deliver approx. the expected alcohol content. Can you critique my hydro method?

I chill to about 75, pour into carboy, pitch yeast, swirl and shake, then pour out a sampling into the hydrometer vial and read corrected for about 10 degrees F over (70 to be read at 60). For example, my last pale ale expected og about 1.045 read about 1.03?

I'm really wondering about my method of pouring off the top layer of beer, could this portion of the carboy just be more watered down due to gravity?

Is it possible my hydro is getting old and doesn't read right? It reads around 1 for pure water and my FGs always seem reasonable. Could it be my ability to detect alcohol content is poor? I don't think that's true.

mm

hummmm, since you are a PhD in Aquatic Ecology, I will assume you are using your hydrometer correctly... But if not, try giving it a spin in the hydrometer jar to keep it from sticking to the sides and giving you a false reading (high or low).

otherwise... I dont know, ive had some that read low OG's as well, but my "spidey sense" tingles as well after a glass or two...;) I just figgured, if it tastes good, you enjoy making it, and it gives you whatever buzz your looking for,who cares what the hydrometer says! :mug:

I may be wrong but I think the correction for temperature is something like adding .001 for 70 degrees. So your OG is 1.046 I think...

Papazian says it's 0.002-0.003 per ten degrees over 60, but I already adjusted for that. I know I should RDWHAHB but it'd be nice to be efficient. Part of the AG appeal is minimizing $$$ cost.

DeathWEED, it is a great point though. It feels good, it tastes good WTF does it matter what my efficiency was? I guess I'm looking for some quantifier of quality when I know it's about the qualifiers.

Ever read 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenence"? A dude goes literally crazy obsession over the concept of 'quality'.

mm

I always take my reading for og prior to pitching the yeast. then either cool in fridge to 60 f or tap water alongoutside the sample jar and use temp corrections.

"Is it possible my hydro is getting old and doesn't read right? It reads around 1 for pure water and my FGs always seem reasonable. Could it be my ability to detect alcohol content is poor? I don't think that's true".

I don't think a Hydrometer can really go bad unless it has a crack in it or a film on it. It's a weighted sealed glass container. Is your hydrometer jar made of plastic? I noticed that the plastic ones will cause the Hydrometer to stick to the sides of the jar due to the natural difference in electrostatic charges between glass and plastic.

What are you using to measure the volume of your batches?

Are you using a bucket with factory applied gallon marks?

If so, don't go by the marks until you've calibrated it and made sure they are correct.

I kept getting low OGs as well. I decided to check the marks on my bucket. I used several differnet measuring devices and each time I showed the 5 gallon mark to be about .375 gallons on the high side.

As a final test I caclulated volume of the 5 gallon mark by taking measurements and sure enough I got 5.375 gallons.

You are doing 100% all grain, or is this a partial extract? full extract?

and more importantly, a full boil or partial? stratification of gravity layers is common in a partial boil. you really gotta mix for several minutes to get the top off water to blend with the wort.

but on AG brewing and full boils, it shouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts

Back