Pumpkin Pie!! The actual pie, not beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Having a contest here at work Friday at our Employee appreciation (before they tell us the doors are closed probably) luncheon. I need a sweet pumpkin pie recipe to enter cause 1st place is $75 bucks and Daddy needs an Electric HLT and a better bottle.

Couple things to keep in mind.
1) I'm relatively a beginner cook but am willing to give most things a shot.
2) Judging will be done by Senior management so uppity (non home cooking style) pies would probably be welcomed.

does it have to be pumpkin?

cause i think if you entered a Sweet Potato Pie, you would win. It would be close enough to Pumpkin to fool everyone, but have just that little bit different that could make it stand out. Just a thought, as I love sweet potatoes. I would marry one if I could. Then eat it :)

What about pumpkin cheesecake? Pumpkin pie on top, cheesecake underneath

What about pumpkin cheesecake? Pumpkin pie on top, cheesecake underneath

SWMBO makes an awesome pumpkin cheesecake. The pumpkin is mixed in and baked.

I would say just go for something like this:
Pumpkin Pie Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

IMO, try to buy the freshest spices possible and grind them yourself. There is nothing worse than a pumpkin pie that was made with old, stale spices.

I think one of the problems with most recipes is they over-spice them. The flavor of the Pumpkin should come through, imho. I don't have a recipe unfortunately.

There actually is no pumpkin in those cans of pumpkin pie filling, you should get some butternut squash or some accorn squash and put it in a food processor to use instead of the pie filling from a can. It will be much fresher and way more delicious.

Use real pumpkin, its easy and will make the best pie. Just get one of the small sugar pumpkins clean it, bake it, and puree it (add a tiny bit of water). Then use that in a recipe and make sure to add a bit of ginger and about 2 T of dark rum.

I will look into the fresh ideas. But the puree just sounds over my head (read; please explain how to do this) and SWMBOs food processor bowl is pretty small. I plan on Using some Captain Morgan's Private Stock, That okay for Rum? I'm not really a liquor guy so don't get into Rum or any other liquor for that matter.

Latest posts

Back