2 Weeks, priming still chunky.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djhead

Reaction score
Hey guys, here's my first question.

I followed the 1-2-3 schedule for an extract kit of Red Ale a few months back.
It was a Cooper's kit I believe.
Anyway, I didnt deviate from the recipe at all, sanitized well, and all seemed well.
It bubbled through fermentation nicely, I let it sit in the secondary for 2 weeks, (most of the dry yeast sediment stayed in the primary)
Its been three weeks worth of priming in the bottle, I used carb-tabs. There were still chunks of sugar after 3 and 4 weeks. The beer had VERY little carb and NO head when poured. It tasted very bitter, but still had that lovely beer flavor.

Since this is my first post, let me know if you need to know anything else, or what some possibilities where I went wrong are. Thanks in advance!

well, I've never used carb-tabs...I just put my priming sugar into water, boil a few minutes, cool it quickly, then rack my primary onto it, stir a bit, then fill bottles.

it sounds like you still have sugar left to be converted, as i'm certain those carb-tabs are nothing but compressed dextrose/corn sugar.

it can be hard to get much of a head of an extract kit without adding specialty grains, especially of you're lacking good carbonation. Also using jet-dry in your dishwasher (or ANY commercial dish soap) will leave a film in your glass that affects head retention.

djhead said:
Hey guys, here's my first question.

I followed the 1-2-3 schedule for an extract kit of Red Ale a few months back.
It was a Cooper's kit I believe.
Anyway, I didnt deviate from the recipe at all, sanitized well, and all seemed well.
It bubbled through fermentation nicely, I let it sit in the secondary for 2 weeks, (most of the dry yeast sediment stayed in the primary)
Its been three weeks worth of priming in the bottle, I used carb-tabs. There were still chunks of sugar after 3 and 4 weeks. The beer had VERY little carb and NO head when poured. It tasted very bitter, but still had that lovely beer flavor.

Since this is my first post, let me know if you need to know anything else, or what some possibilities where I went wrong are. Thanks in advance!
What temperature are you priming at?

Since subscribing to this forum all of about 3 days ago, I've learned a few things. Mostly things I've been doing wrong.

The temperature you ask? About 75 degrees :(

My theory is that not enough yeast went into the secondary, and thus, the bottles to consume the sugar with. Would that explain it?

I've always had decent results with both extracts and carb tabs. Much so to the point I was confident enough to move to partial mash. Im gonna do it anyway, but it sounds like all my other successes were flukes......

djhead said:
Since subscribing to this forum all of about 3 days ago, I've learned a few things. Mostly things I've been doing wrong.

My theory is that not enough yeast went into the secondary, and thus, the bottles to consume the sugar with. Would that explain it?

I've always had decent results with both extracts and carb tabs. Much so to the point I was confident enough to move to partial mash. Im gonna do it anyway, but it sounds like all my other successes were flukes......

Even in secondary for two weeks, you should have enough yeast to carbonate.

If you have chunks of tabs the yeast can't get at the sugar, you need to get that sugar in solution.

Take the bottles and get them a gentle flip...upside down...let the tab get good and tumbled.

Next time look into bulk priming with dextrose (or DME) it is cheaper but a little more work (barely).

BTW, 75 should be fine for priming.

djhead said:

There's plenty of yeast in there. I thought on of my batches had lost the requisite suspended yeast to bottle carb, because it never carbo'd. It was primed with DME. That was in September. 10 months later, I finally decided to get carb tabs, open the bottles, drop the tabs in, and recap. 1 week later, I had full carbonation. So...after 3 weeks, you've got more than enough still in suspension.

You should swirl the bottles every few days with those carbtabs, though. Just to ensure that they dissolve fully.

Just give them more time and be sure to swirl the bottles and the batch'll be just fine in time. Patience!

You probably bought tabs that were old and stale or whatever. Unlike DME and LME which are circulated regularly throughout the stock of a LHBS, carb tabs might sit on the shelf in sunlight for a year and get rock hard. I bought them once and had mixed results and will never use them again.

I just nutted up a bit. and tried the beer. (i havent tried it in 3 weeks, its been conditioning for 1.5 months now.)

Still chunky. Though not as bad. I finally got some of that telltale fog when breaking the seal, you know, the vapors.

Taste: Holy crap its........cider-y? Why on earth does it taste cider-y? Like a beer-cider mix!

Still no head, very fruity aroma, and..... get this......

for grins, I took a hydrometer reading.....

Started at 1.080
Now at 1.010

There is also a suspicious man-goo like syrup at the bottom of my bottle.

WTF happened to my beer?

djhead said:
I just nutted up a bit. and tried the beer. (i havent tried it in 3 weeks, its been conditioning for 1.5 months now.)

Still chunky. Though not as bad. I finally got some of that telltale fog when breaking the seal, you know, the vapors.

Taste: Holy crap its........cider-y? Why on earth does it taste cider-y? Like a beer-cider mix!

Still no head, very fruity aroma, and..... get this......

for grins, I took a hydrometer reading.....

Started at 1.080
Now at 1.010

There is also a suspicious man-goo like syrup at the bottom of my bottle.

WTF happened to my beer?
I'm not sure about your cidery flavor but it might improve with time.
Like was recommended before you should try swirling the bottles every couple days to try to dissolve the carb tabs. The yeast can't eat the sugar while it is in a chunk.
The goo is the yeast that have fallen out of suspension. It is to be expected in a bottle conditioned beer. Its also an indication that there is plenty of yeast to carbonate the beer. If you want to pour a clear beer, leave a 1/4" of beer in the bottom of the bottle when pouring. I usually drink this last bit with the yeast out of the bottle but some people don't like the yeast flavor.

Craig

If you used a lot of sugar rather than malt extract in your recipe, this could have given the cidery taste you noticed. This would also account for the high starting gravity you mentioned. Also could be from contamination. Next time use all malt, boil everything and use strict sanitation... I'm not going to address the MG issue. That I will leave to others.

Back