isinglass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvideen

Reaction score
Last year I used isinglass to clear some very stubborn cloudy cider. I wanted sparkling cider, so before I bottled, I repitched more yeast when I added the sugar before bottling. The results were very good. My question is whether it is necessary to re-pitch yeast. The people I talked with at my brewing supplier seemed to think so, but in my searches on the internet of people clearing with isinglass, they do not mention re-pitching before bottling. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I fine most brews (beer and cider) with gelatin. Unless you are doing an extended lagering period for a brew (ie more than a month and even then.......) I would say there's usually no need to reseed. I can't imagine isinglass is any different.

You're using the fining to drop out the yeast so by re-seeding you are simply adding back what you tried to remove. There are cases where you may need to reseed - if you want to use a different yeast (some commercial breweries use lager yeast for a reason I've forgotten) if you filter and, as mentioned, extended lagering. General purpose I would say no.

Others may disagree and what you did last time worked for you so there may be no reason to change.

Thanks, last year I fined and then reseeded. I was just wondering if I could avoid the reseeding and it sounds like I probably can. I will be aging this for a year if not longer.

Back